RE: [linrad] Delta 44 board and Alsa.

Hi all,

Please excuse a beginner question.....
But if memory serves, Alsa is the free (no cost) driver for the Delta44 card?
Again if memory serves, Alsa is difficult to get going so OSS from $$$ Open Sound
is often used with better success.
Is someone suggesting here that Alsa might work after all?

I have a Delta44 card.
I also have an old Sound Blaster card in my old 486 that could probably be
stolen for a different PC. Are there some Sound Blaster cards that have
been successfully used? In my case it would be for output.
I have tried CD Live on both of my PC's and sound card issues have been the biggest
problem. I do not yet have my "Linux PC". I am also waiting for a more favorable
$ to SEK ratio to buy the RX2500. There is no point in having an RX2500 if
there is no PC to feed RF into.

I have been studying the web sites to learn more about Linux and Linrad.
What seems lacking is basic information to install Linux, Install Linrad, and
Starting Linrad in the basic setup screens ( or maybe in my haste, I missed them....).
There is plenty available about using Linrad once it is up and running.
I am looking for a good book. I have an install disk for Linux Mandrake 8.0.
I would like to find a book that tells about installing Linux Mandrake 8.0 and gives
sufficient instruction to install Linrad and troubleshoot it. I am not really interested
in learning much about Linux that relates to other things.
Are there some links that will help?
Can you recommend a good book? I have plenty of time at work that I can read.
Perhaps I can print an "online" book.

73, Jim Shaffer, WB9UWA.