Re: [linrad] Mandrake distributions

Hello All,

Earlier, there was a remark made about Mandrake not being the "right" or
perhaps
"PC"  ( Political Correct ) distribution.
Could I get some more feedback on that? Is it possibly too easy to work
with for
real Linux users?
Also, I put up the note to make you aware that it is not necessary to
spend MicroSoft like prices to get a nice CD set.

73 Rein W6/PA0ZN

Richard Bown wrote:

>Hi All
>comments on Mandrake.
>
>I have had difficulty with an ATI Radeon card getting linrad to run, but
>on a standard graphics card it compiles and looks like it will run, and
>thats on Mandrake 9.2 , the release date is the start of November.
>That was using vgalib 1.4.3 installed as a RPM.
>The RPM for this is in the old distro part of the mandrake site, last
>distro'd with MDK8.1.
>
>MDK9.2 download edition is free, but you will find the mirrors are
>heavily clogged,
>If you do decide to go for MDK9.2 wait a month or so as there have been
>a few minor bugs with some of the apps, both Gnome and KDE.
>
>MDK 9.2 is available to download as a torrent, which is fairly quick.
>

>Should you download MDK9.2 use the Icemaker window manager to start with
>, download the updates, then restart in either Gnome or KDE.
>
>One of the problems is a menu problem in both Gnome and KDE, and as the
>download sites are VERY heavily used with a new distro, downloading the
>upgrades during install or upgrade fails due to time out.
>
>Apart from the odd teething trouble Mandrake 9.2 is a very nice distro..
>
>HTH
>Richard G8JVM
>
>On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 05:06, Rein A. Smit wrote:
>

>>    Hi All,
>>
>>Linux comes in different distributions and prices. I like to inform
>>those who are
>>thinking about getting a Linux distribution to run Linrad or other linux
>>programs
>>about the following:
>>
>>      Go to :
>>
>>    http://www.pages.ebay.com
>>
>>and search for        "Mandrake Linux"
>>
>>Disclaimer: I have NO interests in EBay nor Mandrake.
>>Nor do I quite understand what is going on here and has been going on
>>for some time.
>> From what I read  it appears that Mandrake Linux is very similar to Red
>>Hat, the best selling
>>Linux distribution.
>>I use one of the older Mandrake CD packages from eBay with Linrad and
>>found it very easy to install..
>>
>>73 Rein, W6/PA0ZN

LINRADDARNIL
: