Re: [linrad] It works now on the 486!

Hi Ramiro,

  From memory:

  The 486 uses an OPTI931 card. They were cheap so I bought a bunch.
Initially there was no support. Then someone figured out how the chip
worked and published a source for a program to get the chip started as a
full duplex device. After it is started it looks like 'windows' audio
device. 16 bits, up to 48k sampling, stereo.

  IIRC I don't use /dev/dsp1, but rather start it up and I&Q and as a
read/write device.

  So first I start my home grown setup program (sets up mixer too). Then I
start linrad. This is all done as a simple shell script.

  Technically the card is very good, especially considering its very cheap
price.

  In fact, i bought a motherboard with an ISA slot just so I could use
these cards. Unfortunately the motherboard worked for a bit and then one
of the ISA lines burned out.

  But they still work OK with the 486s :)

  Let me know if you want further details.

  Mouse, sound card and SVGA drivers seem to be "the" problems with linrad
if you are going to have any.

  I think we should do a bootable CD/floppies that we could take to the
store to test computers before we buy them!

  And of course, linrad works great :)

  warm regards,
  john, ni1b