Re: No UPS's - Re: [linrad] Buying the Linux PC for Linrad use.

Bob,

Most of my experience is with the medical electronics end of compliance
and not with FCC compliance.  I became interested in FCC compliance
because they are in some ways tougher standards to meet in terms of
radiated emissions. Medical Electronics standards are requiring radiated
emissions testing only to 1 Ghz  -  where as FCC requires testing 5 times
the maximum clock frequency in the PC.

Medical Electronics standards these days are being driven by the Europeans
and not by the FCC or FDA, this is good for the patient, consumers and us
hams.  (The FCC does not require any susceptibility testing for electronic
devices.  The Europeans require many different kinds of susceptibility testing
to be performed for sale in the EU.  It's a good thing for US consumers that
multinational companies are selling these same items in the US.

For items being sold in the US, (say personal computer) manufacturer's
must meet FCC requirements for radiated emissions. Personal Computer is
considered a unintentional radiator and radiated emissions must be tested
to 5th harmonic of the MAX frequency in the PC.  Most CPU's are using
multiplied clocks inside - that is the MAX frequency testing is based off!
In other words, a 2 Ghz P4 motherboard would have to be tested to 5th
harmonic of 2 Ghz...  Damn this is sounding like work & I am supposed
to be on vacation!!!

Specific FCC testing for PC's can be found in the Part 15 document,
Section 15.32 (page 19) - the PDF is available as this weblink.
http://www.fcc.gov/oet/info/rules/part15/PART15_3_13_03.pdf

You want to buy a PC that has been tested to and not assembled from
tested components - see this link for the required labeling.
http://www.fcc.gov/oet/dockets/et95-19/labels.html

73's de wb9own

dave garnier