Re: [linrad] linrad installation problem

   Hello Henk,

   Yes indeed, that is what I experience with linux.
   Like in my case I found out that the Kernel was not
   completely installed. It is like installing part of dos or
   windows, at least that is the way, I see it.
   What was messing is the Kernal-Source, some 40 MB by the way.
   I am sure for the experienced linux user this is beyond
   imagination such a thing to happen.
   After Arie had made me aware that there was probably something
   wrong with the kernel I found this out.
   I think Linux is probably great for the user interested in
   Word processing, Internet matters, spreadsheets  few games
   and the like.
   Wat I really miss here, is the ability to install and de-install
   programs etc and in particular knowing and be able to trace and
   correct problems in these area's as missing include files and
   so on.
   Not that these files are sometimes missing but they sit in
   directories where they can not be found by the compiler.
   If you program in C, VB or Java all this stuff sits nicely
   in places where the compiler has no trouble finding it.
   I guess you can only learn this by playing with it and do a lot
   of reading.
   As stated here, books are not needed, In all those books I have there
   they have 2 pages or less on manual installing things ( ./configure,
   make, make install as that is all there is to it.
   I can't see any way how the casual linux user CAN work with this and
   it has to be the Achilles heel of Linrad. UnlesS the group comes up
   with a standard configuration for people that have not worked with
   Linux for whatever time.
   I also have to say that statements, as Linux should be free and you
   just download it, are not helpful for beginners. You try to download
   on a regular dial-up user with the phone company's counter running
as,
   everywhere except in the US is case. So I would say 5 Euros for 3
CD's
   is a bargain. On the other hand there are books like RED HEAD and
other
   books centered around RH for dummies that come with the cd's
included.

   Talking about a standard approach  for Linrad. In my opinion, it is
   really does not matter whether we go RH, Mandrake, SuSE, Debian or
   Caldera or what ever. They cost all the same except RH now.
   A video card is no big expense, and one of the many regular
   soundblaster cards is no problem either. OK the Delta44 is another
   story. I have one here. But I like to get LINRAD working with just
   the audio part first and the onboard sound section as I am not quite
   sure that spending the USD 70 for the OPENSOUND driver for the
   DELTA 44 and second card driver will put me in business.

   It is certainly not my intention to scare anyone or complain but
   in my opinion DSP in weak signal is of the most importance if amateur
   radio weak signal work is to survive from here on forward, as the
   saying goes.
   Linrad is a system that could let people enjoy weak signal being it
   on EME. VLF or 40m QRP or what have you. It conserves the beloved
   morse code if nothing else
   Fewer people on the world scene and even in this United States
   are allowed or have the resources to build a full blown
   station. Most of today's amateurs have to limit amateur radio
   to having an HT strapped  to their their belt. They have
   never experienced a OH, SM of Russian station coming in over the
   pole with flutter or long path communication or so many other
   areas in our hobby
   And if there is really only one user with a full operational
   system, it is too bad and a waste of time that Leif has and is
   spending to develop the software. His intentions go probably
   beyond applications in Amateur Radio. But that is just a guess
   from this side.

   73 Rein W6/PA0ZN