Re: [linrad] Successful video cards/Linux installations

Hi All,

   I have been using Linrad for sometime.

   [ And hopefully I am finally on the list? ]

   I have linrad running on three different machines.

   The most recent Linrad machine (1ghz Intel celeron/384mb) runs RedHat
8.0. Hopefully that helps with what version of Linux works. IIRC, the only
thing that required tweaking was the SVGA config file in /etc.

   When running, linrad uses much less that 25% of CPU (I don't remember
the exact number)  with 48k sampling rate:) One could probably run at
least two or three sessions of linrad at once :)

   You also ask about audio cards. From what I have measured ISA cards are
the best bet. Most of them work OK. I have yet to get a PCI audio card or
the audio on the motherboard running without some sort of serious
deficiency (lack of anti-aliasing filter, excessive CPU usage, no audio
output on any of the 6 audio output ports).

   This leads me to wonder whether it might be better to have the audio
board(s) on a seperate PC and network connected.

   Anyways, I hope the above helps.

   warm regards to all,
   john NI1B