[linrad] Hello, an introduction, a thank you and a question

I just discovered Leif's Linrad site a few days ago, got all excited
over what I saw and have been reading his commentary whenever time
permits.  But let me digress and tell you a little about who I am.

In my youth, a long, long time ago, I used to go to the dump and get old
TV's and radio's and take them apart.  I learned what most of the parts
were but I never did learn how to put them together to make anything
useful.  In my senior year of High School I took an electronics course
and we all learned Morse code and theory and got Novice licenses.  I
never did do anything with that license though as I didn't have the
hardware or finances.

Then there was college and the military where I was introduced to
digital computers.  Since then I've been a systems
programmer/administrator working on large minicomputer/small mainframe
type machines, mostly in the Telecommunications industry.  Most recently
I have designed and implemented a data warehouse of 35+ million cellular
phone subscriber records.

Over the years I have periodically pulled down the ARRL Handbook off the
bookshelf and tried to make some sense of the black magic of RF but have
never really gotten any kind of understanding of it.  Then I found
Leif's web pages and as I started reading through them and looking at
the screen dumps things started to click together.  I think I've learned
more about radio design in just the last few days then in all the hours
I had studied books.

And that's where the thank you comes in.  I want to give Leif a big
Thanks for all the effort he put into making the concepts behind Linrad
available.  I knew about Fourier Transforms and the switch from time
domain to frequency domain but I never really understood how that could
be used.  Now I at least have some concept of that.  Thanks again Leif.

Now for my question.  My wife got fed up with Windows so she stole my
iMac and I installed Linux on her old hardware.  Well, not really too
old as it's a 2.8 GHz machine (Compaq Presario SR1020NX), but it's a
cheapy with no separate sound card; just built in sound using the Intel
i810 chip.  If I just want to play around with Linrad as a learning tool
does anybody know if it will run on this configuration?  So far with
just a couple of quick tries I haven't had much luck.

Thanks everyone and I look forward to reading your postings.

Earl Krueger
Bothell, WA, USA