[linrad] Re: Trouble OSS and Delta 44

All this is very fresh in my mind since I just yesterday replaced Fedora with Debian and had to do it all again from scratch.

First, Linrad 'always' tells me that
 > WARNING!!! device does not respond correctly to speed setting command

So don't worry about that.

Linrad used to give correct sampling rate ranges when you were setting up the soundcards under 'U', but no longer.  The messages in this regards have gotten worse not better, but as long as you ignore them it works as well as ever ;)

You will find that only SOME of the possible soundcard selections work, and it is a matter of trial and error.  I get 4-6 choices for the Delta44, and only 1 or 2 work.  I get multiple choices for the OnBoard sound, and the situation is the same.  Its just an inconvenience, and trial and error is required.  Sometimes the computer locks up and you have to reboot, but not usually [that happened to me with only 1 selection yesterday].

In order to change the sampling rate of the Delta44, you need to turn off the rate lock, and you didn't indicate that you did that.  If you didn't, that is the problem.

The syntax to turn off the rate lock is
./ossmix envy24.ratelock OFF [caps are necessary]
./ossmix envy24.rate 96000

If you don't unlock the lock, you can't open the door...

Some other items of interest for you as you get going:

First, the ORDER in which the soundcards are listed in OSS makes a difference.  4Front Technologies recogizes this, and soundconf gives you the ability to reorder the cards.  If I list the Delta44 first, my sound works.  If I list it second, things do not work.

Secondly, as Leif has noted, the 24 or '32' bit mode does not work with the Delta44 and Linrad.  When I run it here I just get signal from one set of Delta44 inputs [either 1 and 2 or 3 and 4, I don't recall which].  The other set is dead.  Changing the bit depth selection under 'U' in Linrad from 32 to 16 returns full function.

Hope that helps.

73,

Roger
W3SZ