[linrad] Re: Windows graphics again

> Agreed - although a cynic might say that by porting to Windoze,
> you are slowing the drift towards
> linux. I've heard it said many installed Linux to use Linrad, but
> now they do not have too.
>
> Perhaps having the latest version on Linux, and less development
> on Windows will force the hand of a few more.
I think it probably will work the other way. One of the ideas
with Linrad is to encourage people to modify the code and add
their own routines for controlling hardware or presenting more
information on the screen. This will be possible under Linux
only, but given the very low number of Linrad users, the
interest is pretty low now.

If Linrad becomes common among Windows users in the ham
community, I think an awareness of how easily one can
change it and give modified versions to friends should
encourage a lot of (particularly younger) hams to take
the challenge:-) Today they do not know what Linrad is, not
even that it exists.

> 1) If you write text files, use fp=fopen("foo","rt") or fopen("foo","wt").
>
> UNIX silently ignores the "t" for text or "b" for binary, but for
> Windows it is important.
Hmmm, I am opening the text files like this: fopen("foo","w") or
fopen("foo","r"). I have not noticed any problems other than
the usual one that Windows uses return and line-feed while
Linux only uses one of them.

> 2) If it compiles on Windoze and your favorite Linux (Redhat or
> whatever) don't assume it will compile
> on all Linux/UNIX systems.
OK. Actually it compiles under Linux only.

> 3) If you write binary files and use short, int or long, then pay
> attention to the fact that some
> hardware (x86 for example) is little endian, whereas other UNIX
> hardware (such Sun's SPARC processor)
> use big endian.
OK, but I write for Intel x86 only. Some code is in Intel assembly
(for multimedia instructions)

My goal is limited. I will make Linrad available as source code for
Linux (any distribution from RedHat 6.1 and upwards) and as an exe
file for Win98, Win2000 or WinXP. I am more interested in new algorithms
than making Linrad available on more platforms;-)

73

Leif