[linrad] Re: Windows graphics again

> I want to ask you a question, just curious. I just want to know whether
> you continue doing your Windows developing from Mingw under Linux.
Yes. Linrad-02.00 will come as lir02.tbz (about 400 kilobytes).
When unpacked on a Linux machine with svgalib, nasm and wingw32
and after configure is run it accepts these commands:

make linrad (same as make was in linrad-01.xx)
make linrad.exe (Make an exe file for Win98, Win2000 or WinXP)
make svgalib (Make svgalib helper install itself at boot time)
make sdr14 (Make the kernel driver for SDR-14 install itself at boot time)

> Just
> to confirm that the setup works and can be used to develop Windows apps.
> I am writting a simple C program under Linux that writes antenna NEC
> input files for yagis entering element dimensions. I have done it for
> personal work, but could be useful for others( I am a horrible
> programmer). It could be a good idea to compile it for windows as well.
> Just for my local amateur radio friends that are lazy to install
> Linux! ;-)
This is a good idea:-)

> Also found Dev-C++ 5 in:
> http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html
>
> "Bloodshed Dev-C++ is a full-featured Integrated Development Environment
> (IDE) for the C/C++ programming language. It uses Mingw port of GCC (GNU
> Compiler Collection) as it's compiler. Dev-C++ can also be used in
> combination with Cygwin or any other GCC based compiler."
Personally I do not like "Integrated Development Environments".
I find it too complicated to learn how to use properly.....

I heve read recently that a programmer typically produces 10 lines of code
per working day (all overhead included) and that it is the same in assembly,
C, C++ or higher level languages. Since one line of a higher level language
corresponds to many lines of a lower level one, there is a strong improvement
in productivity with higher level languages.

In my own experience it is not at all like that. It may take me a day to
figure out how to write one line of code for a complex WinAPI call while
I easily produce 100 lines of C code per day and much more in assembly
as long as I know what I want the program to do. (It is another thing to
devise new algorithms by trial and error....)