[linrad] Re: Windows graphics

I find smooth scrolling useless because it is very hard to lock ones
eyes to weak structures that move continously on the screen. I have found it
very much better to fill the waterfall at the top and then scroll the entire
waterfall by about 10% of the entire area filling the top with black.

Well, this is for sure a matter of personal preferences... I prefer a smooth scrolling instead of a jerky movement in pieces of the window, but, as said, everybody has his own way to judge things.

Have you tried to do the same with X-Windows under Linux ? It is not simpler than with Windows.
No, I do not see any reason. Anyone capable of getting Linux
running should also be capable of installing svgalib.....
I was not referring to SVGALIB, I was saying that programming a graphical user interface for an application program under XWindows of Linux, or under Micro$oft Windows has the same level of complexity. Linux is not simpler.

Of course SVGALIB is much more straightforward, but SVGALIB is a remnant of the command line times... a graphical user interface integrated with the operating system, be it Linux or Windows, requires an event-driven model also for the graphical aspects.
Hmmm, Linrad-2.00 is event driven. As a response to the signal that a block of data is available, the screen thread wakes up and moves the points or lines of a curve on the screen to new positions.

I was referring to a broader level of event-driveness (does such a word exist ?). Events are caused not only by the logic of your application, they can come also from the operating system in an unexpected way. If you want to produce an application really integrated with the opsys (Linux or Windows), you must be prepared to the fact that the opsys opens another window above yours, masking part of it. When that window is closed by the opsys, it simply asks you to refresh that portion of your window that has been corrupted by the foreign window. And you must be prepared to cope with such a request, which can arrive at unpredictable times. This logic is the same under Linux or Windows, both have the same model. A possible way out would be to code what in Windows parlance is called a console application, and there you can use a simple graphical library, like what I suggested you in the past, the WinBGI. Then your Windows application would be conceptually similar to Linrad. In Linrad you don't use the native graphical subsystem of Linux, XWindows, but you use SVGALIB, which is meant to work outside XWindows. In Windows you would be using WinBGI, which bears the same relationship to Windows as SVGALIB to Linux. It's just a matter of choice.

73  Alberto  I2PHD