[linrad] Re: Knoppix 4.01... more LDE

Thanks for the notes and the help, as always!  I have some comments:

First, the index=0 typographical error was only in the email, not in the alsa-base or sound files. In the files the index is correctly set to index=1. So it is not the explanation as to why two modules are not recognized by alsa at the start. I do not know why they are not both recognized.

Second, there was a second typo in the email, but also not in the files. The Delta44 file is snd-ice1712. I had reversed the numbers and said 1217 in the email, which is incorrect.

Third, although modprobe'ing snd-intel8x0 does install this driver module, it does not cause alsa to recognize the i810 audio. Neither does running alsamixer. Of the things I have tried so far, only running alsaconf and selecting i810 audio installs the snd-intel8x0 driver and allows alsa to see both drivers/sound cards [as long as alsa-base or sound or foo or w3sz has been modified as noted previously with the above corrections]. So although alsaconf is considered to be poorly written and is said to recognize only one soundcard, it is the only way I have discovered [I am sure there are others] to get both the Delta44 and the onboard i810 Intel sound working with Alsa so that Linrad can be used with the Delta44 as input and Onboard i810 sound as output.

Interestingly/amusingly/whatever the official Knoppix site
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
still says 'any day now' for the CD-sized version of 4.0x.

73, all,

Roger
W3SZ