[linrad] Re: Knoppix 4.01...LDE

Sorry for the [nearly 2 week long] delay!

I did in fact try setting things up by modifiying the files alsa-base and sound as your excellent email indicated on 8-24, and things still didn't work [nice spectrum, but still no sound out]. So I took another tack and installed OSS and initially things worked OK. But somewhere along the line I made a fatal 'tweak' to the system [don't know what it was, tried to remove it but failed], and after that when I ran Linrad or anything using svgalib, Knoppix locked up and required reboot. Feeling frustrated about all of the time spent, I deleted Knoppix 4.01 from my hard-drive, and caught up on various other non-HamRadio-related tasks that needed doing.

This a.m. I woke up early and decided to solve the problem. I didn't reinstall Knoppix 4.01 on the hard disk, but have just been using the Knoppix 4.01 DVD to boot, with Knoppix keeping a persistent disk image on the hard drive of any changes I make to the OS, etc.

As of now, Linrad finally works under Knoppix 4.01. But don't waste your time/bandwidth downloading 4.01 just yet. I think Knoppix 3.8 as previously uploaded is still the best Knoppix solution. UNIONFS is still broken, although not so completely as before [some apt-get updates will still break it but it mostly works now even after apt-get updates]. A fix is due 'any day now' in the form of 4.02, as is the CD-length version of the software. It has been so for weeks, so don't hold your breath ;)

Here is what I found today on my way to getting Linrad working with Knoppix 4.01:

Knoppix 4.01 automatically installs the audio driver files i810_audio and ac97_codec on bootup, but the i810 drivers expected by alsa are not seen by the OS if one checks with 'cat /proc/asound/cards', which only sees the ice1217 driver files and the Delta 44, but does not see the i810 onboard sound. 'proc/modules' also shows no evidence of the alsa snd-intel8x0 driver, but does show the alsa snd-ice1217 Delta44 driver.

So the snd-intel8x0 driver files for the intel i810 audio are not installed on boot.

Adding the appropriate lines to the /etc/modprobe.d/ directory files 'alsa-base' and 'sound' does not cause the snd-intel8x0 files to be installed. i.e., adding:
alias snd-card-0 snd-ice1217
options snd-ice1217 index=0
alias snd-card-1 snd-intel8x0
options snd-card-1 index=0
to both alsa-base and sound does not cause the desired response on bootup [installation of both Delta44 and i810 drivers].

However, booting Knoppix 4.01 after modifiying the /etc/modprobe.d directory files 'alsa-base' and 'sound' as above and then running alsaconf to install the i810 audio driver file snd-intel8x0 results in alsa retaining the Delta44 as card 0, and adding the i810 onboard sound as card 1.

Then Linrad works fine with the Delta44 selected as '00' by Linrad for input and the onboard i810 sound automatically selected as '02' by Linrad for output. Everything works normally.

Each time Knoppix is rebooted, it is necessary to run alsaconf to again select and install the snd-intel8x0 driver. Otherwise, alsa and Linrad do not see the i810 onboard sound.

At some point early on in the process, many, many boots ago, i performed a 'modprobe snd-intel8x0' command from the command prompt. I don't know enough about Linux to know whether that did or did not make a permanent installation of the driver module somewhere, or whether it just did something that was lost with the next boot. I just mention it here in case it did something permanent, as in case that was an important step.

Also, I have not gone back and removed the added statements [detailed above] from the files 'alsa-base' and 'sound' to see if they are [in total or in part] really necessary, and have no plans to do so. ;)

Have a great day, and

73,

Roger
W3SZ