[linrad] Re: Mingw

Oh, it looks promising.

> OK, I can try that, but there has to be some command to configure X11
> and then I would not have to learn to use yet another program;-)

To install the window system:

#apt-get install x-window-system

To configure the x-window system and generate the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
 configuration file you have the following choices:

#dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
and answer the questions(this is the Debian way).

Alternatively, you can use the  Xfree86 own config programs that exist
on every X installation.

# xf86cfg           in graphic mode, or
# xf86cfg -textmode        in text mode.

NOTE: Sometimes everything stated before fails and you need to configure
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 by hand.

You can install (optional) the session login manager:

#apt-get install gdm
or
#apt-get install xdm
or
#apt-get install kdm

X-window system install comes with a very simple window manager by
default called "twm", but probably you want something better.
You  are ready now to install your favourite window manager

# apt-get install fluxbox      for a low resources good window manager
# apt-get install gnome-desktop-environment for a heavy one
# apt-get install kde    for another heavy one.

And you are ready.

NOTE: If you choose NOT to install a login session manager like gdm, kdm
or xdm, you have to create in your home directory a hidden file named
.xsession to launch the window manager as soon as you run "startx":

# .xsession file for starting fluxbox *******

xterm &
exec  /usr/bin/fluxbox

# ***** end of .xsession

Do not forget the "&" character after every command you want to run
before the window manager starts.

Now you are ready to start your X window session typing "startx" at the
prompt as a normal user.

NOTE: Do not try to startx as root, it is not allowed for recurity
reasons (not sure).

Good luck.

Ramiro.
EA1ABZ