[linrad] Re: Windows

I have struggled long and hard with the same issues, because I have long wanted to make WSJT more platform independent.

After much thought (and gnashing of teeth), I decided to write the GUI for a major new release of WSJT in Python. (In earlier versions the GUI was written in Visual Basic, version 6, which does not support multi-threading. The newer Visual Basic.NET requires a 24 MB run-time package that really turned me off -- and of course these Microsoft languages are the antithesis of being platform independent.)
As before, nearly all of the serious computing in WSJT is done in Fortran.

The new version of WSJT is running nicely, and I've been using it on the air for several weeks now. It has a number of advantages over the older single-threaded version. Although I haven't yet made a Linux version, I believe that nearly everything in the new code is platform independent, with the exception of the way new threads are started.

Anyway, I guess my point is this: straight C code or Fortran code is easy to move back and forth between Windows and Linux. It's just a re-compile, in general. But GUIs are another matter entirely. Python supports the creation of powerful and good-looking GUIs on multiple platforms (Linux, Windows, Mac) with virtually no changes in the code.

Although I am a neophyte -- and like you, not really a programmer -- I am nevertheless becoming a Python believer.

			-- 73, Joe, K1JT

leif@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi All,

Searching for cross-compile for windows gave this hit:
http://www.mingw.org/mingwfaq.shtml
It describes MinGW and MSYS. I get the impression that these
packages can be run under Linux to produce an exe file for Windows, but when I try to find details, I only find how to run the package under Windows (or MSDOS).

This site:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/python/python/383829
has the following info:" At work we compile our software for lots of platforms (including windows) on a linux build host. The windows builds are done with a mingw cross compiler."

This is what I want to do, but I am not clever enough to get started. Is there anyone who could supply a Makefile that would produce a windows executable of something really simple. Just print "hello" on screen or draw a straiht line?