[linrad] Re: Knoppix sound issue

> >For some unknown reason your system is probably overloaded.
> >

> Indeed, it does appear that way. In fact I ran a 'top' command in the
> other virtual console and the CPU ran up to 99.9% on linrad processing..
> Not much swapping going on though. Here is one of lines from top:
>
> PID  User   PR  NI  VIRT   RES   SHR  S  %CPU  %MEM Time+   Command
> 4466 root   25   0  37328  1584  924  R  99.9  0.3  0:45.77 linrad
> >
> The above top output was running no second FFT, 200 Hz BW on first FFT,
> 0 second storage time on first FFT, and 9 seconds storage time on
> output. The sampling rate was set to 8000 Hz on both first FFT and
> output. I performed the test with both AFC and no AFC...
Maybe you have slow graphics. At 200 Hz bandwidth the transforms
are produced at a rate of 200 Hz and with small numbers to average over
the time used by the graphics could overload the system - but then
you should see something on the screen.

You may have detected a bug. Linrad may use up all the CPU time
because a flag has become incorrect telling the internal scheduler
that the highest priority task is xxx. If xxx fails to reset the flag
it will stay as the next task always.

The problem could be caused by some unusual behaviour of the sound
system but it could also be just "bad luck" in how much time different
tasks  take.

To tell me exactly what the problem is you should press "F" and wait
until you see numbers on the right hand side of the screen. Then press
"G" to make a screen dump from which I can directly see what is going on.

If the system is heavily overloaded the keyboard commands might not
work at all - and then the gif file would not work. Since you run the
Knoppix CD I can not send you a special version of wcw.c from which
one could see what the problem is.

> When I perform the sound card test I get a vary low utilization on the
> FFT processing. Why is the main screen eating all the CPU time up?
Probably because of some mistake in the Linrad code. It will be
reasonably easy to find (and correct) if you make a full Linux/Linrad
installation. Maybe you can recompile with the Knoppix CD also, I
do not know. Hopefully Roger or someone else can tell.

The Linrad-2.xx series will not have any internal scheduler, such
tasks will be handeled by the kernel. This will eliminate problems
of the kind you (probably) experience now although there is a small
cost in increased memory usage and CPU overhead. The multi-threaded
verson will not replace the monolithic Linrad in quite some time
so I wolud like to find out what the problem is on your system.