[linrad] Re: Linux Strikes Again

> >If you want to have Linux easy, you should go for something
> >like Fedora 3 with reasonably modern hardware. Then the
> >install of Linux itself is trivial and not a bit more
> >complicated than a fresh installation of Windows from a CD
> >to a computer with a new, unformatted hard disk.
>

> Leif thanks.  I will try that.  I do have a copy of Fedora that I
> downloaded and burned.  I have nothing to lose by trying it.  I hope it
> will fit on a 6 Gig HDD.
Remember that this will just install Linux easily for you.

Your complaints about Linux (which are unfair) should become
modified by this experience. The problems you see are not
Linux itself.

After having installed Linux, you should find it pretty easy
to install nasm in case it is not present already. (I do not
remember if it is included in Fedora 3) Nasm is available
as a stable release and therefore it is easy to install.

Installing the latest stable release of svgalib (1.4.3) is
also easy. There is a small error in the svgalib installation
software which you have to compensate for by typing two simple
console commands. You can not blame Linux for that. It is just
an error in the now very old svgalib application. You must have
seen Windows programs that have errors in them occasionally;-)

Now, because the svgalib stable release is so old you will have
to use the development version svgalib-1.9.xx if you want
support for modern hardware. This software is explicitly stated
to be used by developers only (those who help in developing svgalib)
so you should not be surprised if the procedure is not as
simple as for nasm or svgalib-1.4.3. Fortunately the latest release,
svgalib-1.9.21 is not very difficult. Best is to uncomment
(remove the #) from the line NO_HELPER = y

Note that this has nothing to do with Linux. It is something
you have to do to use the development verson of svgalib in a
simple way.

Then you have to get root permission by logging in as root or
by the su command.

The reason you need nasm, gcc, svgalib, make and several other
application programs that are normally included in a Linux
installation is that I, the author of Linrad have chosen
to not supply self-supporting executable packages. That
is something you may blame me for, it has nothing to do with
Linux.

The big difference is that without Linux you would not have
had any chance at all to get something like Linrad because
development is so much more difficult and expensive under
Windows so I would have stayed under MSDOS if the opportunity
to use Linux had not arisen. For MSDOS you would have had to
use exactly the hardware I had chosen for myself because
under MSDOS I would have had to make the device drivers myself.
(You might actually use the MSDOS package with your SB16
soundcard if you care to install true MSDOS)

I would like to see you stop blaming Linux for things that
the Linux community is not responsible for;-)