[linrad] Re: Knoppix CD audio

   Hello Mike,

 From your email to Leif, I understand that you have access to a 2 meter
Beacon. That is even
better than cw signals from some HF band. You know at least that the
signal is always there,
though the local field strength may vary.

By tuning your 2 meter receiver, you should be able to get a nice beat
note from the beacon,
A good value should be in the 500 to 1200 Hz range to start. Remember
you are monitoring and watching
a narrow spectrum band. In the wide band mode the spectrum would be 10
or 20 times wider.

I think it is more beneficial to learn to play Linrad in this mode than
going wide band with a lot of other variable
some of them might be unknown when you start to use Linrad.

On the left side of your display, just by loading the W3SZ CD, you
should have 2 windows.
The bottom is the wide freq display How wide depends among other
parameters from your sampling
speed of the read sound card. For audio signals from a receiver you
might as well match the audio spectrum,
probably given by the band width of the IF channel in your rx,  1.8 to
2.7 kHz perhaps in SSB .

On the top of the other window you will see the lower and upper freqs
limits of that spectrum. Bottom
window being the wide band , it shows freq. vs signal strength on a log
scale as in a spectrum analyzer.
The top widow has the same freq. range as the wide band but the signal
strength is given by the color
at any given time. With the 2 numbers of  the top window( right side) is
it possible to set the average color level
I like to have  that level such that I see here and there a spot in the
field for a constant noise level
from your receiver output level. As soon as signal above this noise
level appears you will see a change
in color.. This needs some adjusting. AS you can set the detection level
too high. In that case you will see
only the strongest signals,  On the other hand you can set it too
sensitive and you will see the a screen
full of noise signal. It it is like the baseline and span on a recorder.

So now you have detected a signal in that 3 kHZ wide spectrum.

You got a window ( wide ) and now you are going to move another ( narrow
window )
perhaps 100 Hz wide , depending on other settings and you place that
narrow window where
the signal is . This is done by clicking with the mouse in either
window. Now you feed
the desired signals to the later stages of the processing in Linrad.

This is like pass band tuning in the top of the line receivers. This
only works a lot better

Once  you have selected the signal with the cursor, make sure that the
wide squire marker is somewhere in the
middle of the filter window ( enter bottom ) of your computer display,
If the spot is not in the middle Use the
slider perhaps hidden ( red line or bar on the right side of the white
marker about 1/4 " ) drag the bar up or down
so that you see the white marker somewhere in the middle of that window
( left side) By now you should be hearing
the signal or noise background.

If you hear the cw signal, you can use the "bfo" to let it sound the way
you like it. Move red vertcal line 100,
10 and 1 time sweep.What you do here is design the audio part of the
receiver. It keeps the differnce
beween the 2 cursors constant in terms of audio output. I.e., you can
move the 1st in the wide
freq. spectrum and the 2 second will follow so that the beat not remains
constant. A good measure
of band pass tuning.

 From here on you should start using the Linrad keys file,  And make
copies of the QEX articles. They are
on Leif's web page.

The best is just using the written articles and a known weak signal as
that 2 meter beacon.  Learn what
effect the different parmeters have. The default settings are for the 3
modes SSB, normal CW and weak-signal
cw.

This is my personal opinion. Linrad is a tool that one has to learn to
play as a music instrument.
And that will take some doing or rather listening. It is not a black box
with an on/off switch.
Because of the output presentations it is possible not only ot hear what
the system is doing for
you, but also to see what is happening.

I like here in the evenings to monitor the IARU 20 meter beacons at
14100 kHz . Are they there?
How many and which beacons? Wonderful. With the event of JT65 and the
JT65 board you should be
able to see signals almost al the time when the moon is above the
horizon. Do antenna testing, pre amp
work,  learn Linrad and so on and so on. Of coarse 6 meters is another
world,  MS, airplane reflections
and many other applications

73 Rein W6/PA0ZN