[linrad] Disappearing dirctories with Knoppix

This has been a very full day.  I can't remember if it was posted that Leif has graciously found room for the Knoppix CD iso file on the sm5bsz.com server.

I am busy reworking / shrinking / 'fixing' the  iso before uploading it to sm5bsz.com.

I think I found the answer I think to Zaba's 'disappearing directory' problem, and why I see files and directories in the root directory here that Zaba says he doesn't see.  A quote from somewhere in 'Knoppix-ville' that I ran across this evening:

"Knoppix automatically overwrites the directory /home/knoppix with /etc/skel during boot".

So I think that the files that I had carefully placed in /root for users-san ended up in /home/knoppix/root with the Knoppix-Live CD boot process, and then got overwritten.

The delay in upload for the iso file is caused by my trying an alternate strategy, making an iso file and then a CD with it, trying it, and then going back for round 2 etc to correct my mistakes.  It takes about an hour per cycle, and I just broke free to start this after 10 pm, so the uploaded iso may not appear before sometime late tomorrow.  I will announce when it is uploaded.

I have decided I need yet another computer, to contain ONLY an experimental, deletable Knoppix hard-disk installed system, to look for these bugs which don't appear if the testing is on the system with the permanent reference install.  I will see if any of wife/children can give up their computer for this noble purpose [only kidding, I am not that stupid ;)  ].

73, all with my apologies for the delay...

Roger
W3SZ