Från: "Jan Wedin" <jan.wedin@xxxxxxxxx>
Skickat: den 6 maj 2005 07:18
Ämne: Re: Knoppix 3.81 CD with Linrad 1.33

Hello Roger and All,

First, thank you for the image.

I played yesterday evening with it at the club station SK4AO. I tried to figure out how to run linrad from ZWindows, but soon went to boot to 'knoppix 2' teerminal mode. There everything worked just fine.

With the few commands I know i managed to 'locate svgalib.config' as the graphic chipset was not detected, only very low resolutions given in Linrad screeen setup. 'vi svgalib.conf' and scroll down to VESA chipset, put the marker on the beginning of the line and pressed 'd' until VESA was first. Then ':wq', that appears at the bottom line.

Following the discussion here it seems that VESA is a failsafe mode, and good enough for Linrad. For a CD like this it would be the preferred mode, I think.

Then 'locate alsamixer' found that and I was able to set input and output for the sound on the motherboard, first time I tried, after some struggle to find what I needed.

I was able to switch console Alt + F1 or F2 and have Linrad running in one and alsamixer in the other.

I had to type './lin' to start linrad when i managed to crash it, see below.

Input was audio out from FT736 from the fix level output at the rear. Some noise at low frequencies made operation better with shifted passband to high pitch. The dynamic range was quite good. With RF gain reduced properly i had over 60 dB from noise to saturated signal, and still good sensitivity.

The smart noiseblanker requires a calibrated filter. I tried to calibrate the filter passband but falied. I tried with the sources available from the antennas, but then Linrad chrashed when the powerline noise was strong enough to be recognised as impulses. The noise blanker is one reason I try linrad, and I hope it is some memory issue that will resolve itself with a HD installation without the ramdisk.

Plans are to get IF out of the radio and make an external IQ mixer feeding Linrad. Hope to get +- 15 to 20 kHz this way on all bands. Next problem will be to put tx on the right frequnecy...

73!  /Jan, SM4HFI