[linrad] Re: Error exit (and multi-platform)

73's,
Bob
N4HY

leif@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

It would be nice to have a Makefile under Linux that would
output executables automatically for several platforms;-)
Indeed. There are several possibilities -- Java, Mono, Python,
and more --
but your preceding remarks suggest they'd be less than
satisfactory to you :-)

Is Leif suggesting that a Windows version of Linrad would be less satisfactory to Him fdue to matters of choice, or is he suggesting that there are performance issues?

The problem is that I have no idea at all how to produce executable
files under MS Windows. I could easily make a version for MSDOS using
the Watcom C compiler and the graphics package it contains, but it seems
to me that that obsolete software package would not support any reasonably
recent soundcards. Another limitation is that memory is limited to
16 megabytes under DOS4GW.

I am waiting for help. Bob, N4HY has promised to look into it
after Dayton, maybe I know more one month from now:-)

I do not know enough aboout Windows to have any idea whether there will
be any performance issues. Windows is a server-client system for
graphics (as I have been told) while svgalib writes directly to the card.
Maybe there will be some limitationd for this reason but that can surely
be managed one way or another. It will certainly not be necessary to
put pixels on the screen one by one as Linrad is doing now although a
change would mean some new code.