[linrad] Re: Debian

Knowing that the problem is insufficient memory I have lost
my interest. I could easily put the hard disk into a bigger
computer and install there. Presumably I could edit the
configuration files if necessary for the system to be bootable
on the old machine. Typically moving hard disks between computers
works fine:-)

> >>Try this: If you choose a text console with ALT+F2 you will notice that
> >>network card kernel drivers (and also 3c509.ko among them)  are on
> >>
> >>/lib/modules/2.x.x/kernel/drivers/net

No, they are not. I did not include the nic-extra modules because
I did not know that that is where they reside. My attempt to include
the nic-extra* failed because of memory shortage.

> > The modules are not there because the base system is not installed yet.
>
> No, the modules are present inmediately after the "loading installer
> modules from CD" stage, if succeeded. But if you could not install the
> nic-extra-*** stuff, you will not have the 3c509.ko driver. They have
> packed in that nic-extra *.udeb  because it is not recent hardware and
> rarely used. The problem is your memory, the installer detects that you
> have little memory and it do not load all installer-packages.
>
> The base system is installed on a later stage.
Yes, all is understood now (I think).