[linrad] Re: Leifs Debian install problems, another guess..

leif@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
More news!

Leif, do you have a system with 24 MB of memory?

YES

I have just emulated in qemu a system qith 24MB, and the installer is "different", because it do not load the same installer components to save memory.

Ok, on the new machine it is all different;-)

In the screen "load installer components from CD" (this screen is not shown in big memory computers):

you need to choose the (I do not know if all of them):

nic-modules*
nic-extramodules*
nic-shared*

your network driver should be there!!

No, it does not work. I can install nic-modules or nic-shared
but the 3c509 is not there. I can not install nic-extramodules at
all. The error message from tar is "cannot allocate memory".

Well, I think your problem is definitely the low memory size. Even when Debian says at the installer F1-F2-F3...and so on, that it needs 24 MB, I think it is not true. I have here the last debian-installer-manual and it says :

*****
2.5. Memory and Disk Space Requirements

You must have at least 32MB of memory and 110MB of hard disk space. For a minimal console-based system (all standard packages), 250MB is required. If you want to install a reasonable amount of software, including the X Window System, and some development programs and libraries, you'll need at least 400MB. For a more or less complete desktop system, you'll need a few gigabytes.
Prev
********

I have tried to install Debian sarge in my real computer (without qemu), but telling the installer that I have 24 MB of memory (with option "expert26 mem=24M" and It stops on some stages. If you look at the alternate console, and do the "free" command, I can see that memory usage increases rapidly until it reaches something like 28MB. With 24MB the system runs out of memory. I think your driver is on the nic-extra-modules.

If you can not install the nic-extra (NetworkInterfaceCard-extra drivers, for old hardware) you can not install your network card.
I have the same mininst.iso than yours and the 3c509.ko drivers are there!!!

Debian 3.0r4 installs easily however.....

Well, that old woody installer requierd 14 MB only, and of course it works on your hardware.

I will just skip all of this for now. It really takes a lot of time
and I think I can use my time better.

I had no idea that nic stands for Network Interface Cards (????)

yes, it is a common acronymus for such computer stuff. The first time I heard it I was also confused, until I discovered its meaning. ;-)

and this information is very hard to find. It is just impossible
to learn all the acronyms and guessing does not help much:-(

Fedora, RedHat, Mandrake and Suse are much easier to install than Debian. The reason to include Debian would be to have a procedure that would
fit virtually all computers and that would allow a recent kernel.
I have failed on this and I suggest Roger uploads the Debian instructions
somewhere and maybe you all can contribute by making the various hints
available. I am reluctant to upload material that may cause confusion.
I get mails like the following one:

Leif, do not blame Debian because you can not install it on your hardware. You are trying to install a modern version of Linux on a very old hardware and the problem is not the hardware, but the memory size.

This summer I was playing on a 8MB 486 computer that could not run the woody intaller because of low memory. The solution was installing an old version of debian from a set of floppies (yes, from floppies) and upgrade to woody.

Debian is perhaps the only distro that can be used in old computers now. Other distros claim much more big memory sizes. I give you some solutions if you want to try in the future.

-Put some more memory just to install. Then remove it for normal use.
or
-Install Debian 3.r4. Install only the base system. Then, update the /etc/apt/sources.list file to point the sarge files on debian servers and do "apt-get update;apt-get dist-upgrade", cross your fingers and wait. Then change to new kernel....etc (this is not complicated, but sure you will have to tweak some things to make modules work. I recomend the first solution.

That all sounds good, but I gave up with LINRAD because to many components have to play together. If LINRAD would come up in ONE package that everyone could install, who is not someone with squared eyes, I would try it againe. Don`t take it personaly. I'v seen LINRAD in Prague and it looks fine. But for people who use theyr computer like my granny her TV-set...

That is his problem, not our problem. People is too lazy. People wants everything ready to fly.

Yesterday I was around 5 hours studying your problem!

It makes me think I have already uploaded too much information
in a way that is confusing to the newcomer.

Probably the newcomer will not use such old computer, and it would be easier. You are working with hardware that even does not boot from CDROM. People will frighten even with the instruction set that you explained to boot from the SmartBootManager floppy.

It seems that you and me are the only madmen who use old computers ;-)

Keep posted.

Ramiro.
EA1ABZ.