[linrad] Re: Installation adventures (Debian Sarge) /contest[3]; Re: [linrad] Re: Setting up linrad on Sarge

'Zaba' OH1ZAA wrote:

Patrick!   Thanks to you; I noticed now that the long listing was yours!

yes, It was Patrick's.

After the experiments I noticed that you mentioned the rebooting of the PC.
First I did not do it, because it had been burnt in my mind, that a Linux
system does not need a reboot like the Win-systems.

No, I think that a reboot is not need. You can always load that module by hand with the modprobe command.

But maybe there has
been a change in this too, or I have never understood the details. This
proves that reading instructions is very important! In summary: I learnt
a lot of new things and I arrived at the same result as before, for the
time being. My impression is that soon there is enough routine to set up
a 'Linrad' system from state zero ("empty hardware") to full operation
(one way or the other) in less than 100 minutes. Maybe we should make
this a small "contest" to create more attention/interest for 'Linrad'.

Good idea.

Wishing you all a relaxed but productive weekend!  73, "Zaba"  OH1ZAA/2

Well, I have just install Debian in a spare partition last night, so today, If I have free time I will try to install last Linrad and last svgalib to see.

Just a tip for your X install ( I do not know if knoppix uses the Xfree or the Xorg Window system, but it will be helpfull anyway, there should not be too much differences). Run knoppix on it. Copy the XF86Config-4 file to your Debian box. It should work.

Any way, tell me the errors you are having. You also can watch the X log errors in /var/log/XFree86.0.log. Look for the "EE" errors, it will tell you the reason of the failure.

73, Ramiro.