[linrad] Reboots with helper-module; Re: [linrad] Re: Installation adventures (Debian Sarge)/contest

Merci bien Monsieur Patrick!

Well, I guess everything was right after the 'make install' of
svgalib 1.9.20 as I made the svgalib_helper.o separately in its
own directory. But I did NOT boot my PC before starting 'Linrad'!

So 'Linrad' did not get to see the helper-module, and I went back
to a new svgalib-install with the NO_HELPER option. Surely this
allows me to operate linrad in 'root' mode, but of course I would
like to see the other option to succeed at least once...

Actually I did later multiple reboots with the X-server experiments,
but as stated it did not provide the wanted action. My local guru
mentioned that getting xfree86 to work in various Debian's can be
quite a challenge... so we are still at that level.

If my HomePNA would work automatically I would now do a Sarge k3.6.8
install after the 2.4.27 version. But actually there is nothing to
complain about as 'Linrad' is already up and running; just the mouse
is missing.... It seems that CPU load is about 5% and delay 0.5 s
(screen values only; probably second sound card needed ...)

                                            73, "Zaba"  OH1ZAA/2

At 10:18 16.4.2005 +0200, F1EBK wrote:

Hello Zaba and all

Le samedi 16 avril 2005 à 00:40 +0300, 'Zaba' OH1ZAA a écrit :

> With these I was able to install svgalib 1.9.20 without errors,
> and even I could create the  svgalib_helper.o  module (no error)

I used the old version of svgalib in my test, so I have no idea on how
svgalib 1.9.20 may behave.

> However, I could not start 'Linrad'  (asking helper_module installed?)
>
> Maybe I should have done a  'modprobe'  by hand?

That could cure the problem, but this would be my last option to load
the helper module.

> You referred to Leif's svgalib installation procedure >>  /usr/src
>
> The installation procedure that I have from Leif's pages is
> referring instead to dictionary  >>  /usr/local/src
>
> So I did 'make clean' on the old svgalib's and I reinstalled starting
> from   /usr/src    Well, no errors, but also no success with 'Linrad'.
>
> Finally I went to svgalib's Makefile.cfg and changed it to the NO_HELPER
> option by removing the one # in front of the NO_HELPER = y  line.
>
> This time 'Linrad' started without protest. The only difference is now that
> the svgalib-1.9.20 directory is in   /usr/src   instead of   /usr/local/src

No convention hasn't changed, but I may have done a mistake in my
install procedure. On my system, the svgalib folder is in /usr/src,and
it worked like that. So this is not the cause of your problem. Anyway, I
recommend everyone to use Leif's convention (/usr/local/src) and I shall
post shortly a new version of my installation procedure.

> Is it so that the convention has changed through the years? It does not
seem
> to make any difference for the operation; "things" go to their proper
places?

> Also I did all possible tricks to configure the X-server, but it always
> resulted in fatal error. At least we do not need that (X) for 'Linrad'...
>
> 'Linrad' shows a neat display, and it reacts to sounds coming from the
> microphone of the headset. The sound output has not been monitored yet.
> It is an ICH-5 system with i_810 driver [Abit IC-7 / P4_2400] . I need
> to fetch a PS2-mouse as the USB mouse is not supported in svgalib. The
> Delta-44 is still in the box and may end up in another PC (new install
> with an Athlon XP 2500+ on an Abit NF-7 motherboard). Partial success
> has already been achieved with a quick Knoppix 3.8.1 install using an
> old Athlon 1266 on an Abit KD7A board.. I have some Asus/EPoX MB's too.
>

> After the experiments I noticed that you mentioned the rebooting of the PC.
> First I did not do it, because it had been burnt in my mind, that a Linux
> system does not need a reboot like the Win-systems. But maybe there has
> been a change in this too, or I have never understood the details. This
> proves that reading instructions is very important! In summary: I learnt
> a lot of new things and I arrived at the same result as before, for the
> time being. My impression is that soon there is enough routine to set up
> a 'Linrad' system from state zero ("empty hardware") to full operation
> (one way or the other) in less than 100 minutes. Maybe we should make
> this a small "contest" to create more attention/interest for 'Linrad'.

I do agree with this too, but first let me explain how the "helper"
setup works.
After linrad had been compiled you have an extra command : 'make
svgalib' this command add several symbolic link in the /etc/rc0.d to
rc6.d. This add a new function during the boot process and the function
in to do an 'insmod' of the helper_module.

So if you do not want to 'reboot' your system, you can do the insmod by
hand, but you would have to do this every time you boot your PC. :-(
Rebooting the PC let you check that everything is correct in the boot
process ( It is not the case for you !)

Ok, now let's try to figure out what happened on your system :

first of all, open a terminal with root privileges and type :

lsmod

This will give you the list of the loaded modules, you should find a
line starting with svgalib_helper. I suppose that you haven't or it
would work...

Check in /etc/rc5.d (/etc/rc3.d if you are in text mode) that you have a
symbolic link named S96svga pointing to /etc/init.d/svga. Check if this
file exists.

Read the file with the following command :
less /etc/init.d/svga

You should see after the start flag a line containing something similar
to this :
insmod /usr/src/svgalib/svgalib-1.9.19/kernel/svgalib_helper/svgalib_helper.ko

in your case, you may find svgalib-1.9.20 or even /usr/local/src.
Whatever you find there, check if this file exists. If it doesn't try to
locate the svgalib_helper with the command :

updatedb   (Do this only once, it may take a while !)
locate svgalib_helper.ko

and edit /etc/init.d/svga to fit the path.

you can test the new svga file by typing :

/etc/init.d/svga start

and see if any error message. If none check if the svgalib_helper is
loaded with the 'lsmod' command.

Last (sorry to say that !) reboot your PC, the lsmod should show the
svgalib_helper loaded during boot process.

I hope all this will help.

Very 73

Patrick