[linrad] HomePNA patch in 2.6.x for net-installs; Re: [linrad] Re: SVGALIB 2.9.19 under Debian

Sirs,

The net-installer is great if the Network is operational. I accidentally
installed Debian kernel 2.4.27 with the new Sarge-rc3 installer, and that
proved to be fortunate for me, as my AMD HomePNA PCI-card refuses to work
under ANY recent distro with 2.6.x kernels.

Some Googling around provided bits and pieces of news and it became clear
that the HomePNA problem started with the transition from kernel 2.6.7 to
kernel 2.6.8 .... Ever since HomePNA PCI-cards did not initiate with DHCP.

My local Linux-guru came up with the following quick fix, and it enabled
me to get Knoppix 3.8.1 operational on the Internet, which motivated me to
execute 'knoppix-installer' and transfer the kernel 2.6.11 based system to
the HD of an Athlon_1266 KT400A board. Not much later I had 'svgalib' and
'Linrad' there as well (using the NO_HELPER approach described recently).

After installing Knoppix all graphics functions work perfectly so one can
try to kick-start the network from there. Upon boot DHCP does not work on
the HomePNA-card eth0 so the quick fix is:

In the console change to superuser 'su' and execute 'rmmod pcnet32'  ...

Then execute 'modprobe pcnet32 homepna=1'  ....

Subsequently the Knoppix tool for Network Card setup is launched from
the toolbar and DHCP is requested (Yes). After this the Browsers run!

Of course the next step is to force this situation by properly config-
uring the various start-up files, so that Knoppix will boot by itself
into an operating connection. However, that is still beyond my scope.

As soon as I have one operational 'Linrad' system on one of the PC's,
I will submit that information to the 'Linrad' User Data Bank.

http://www.nitehawk.com/linrad_dat/

The latest versions of crucial software seem to be svgalib 1.9.20 and
lir01-33  - - probably best to continue with those under kernel 2.6.x

               Good luck to all!       73, "Zaba"  OH1ZAA/2