[linrad] Re: Debian setup

Oh sorry, I forgot to say you that. :-(
Also forgot to say, that prior to any "apt-get install package" operation, you need to do a "apt-get update" to get the new list of packages. If you do not do it, "apt-get install package" command may fail. Indeed, you need to do it only from time to time, if the packages list change on debian servers. That often happens now that they are at the last stages of the "freeze" before the Sarge release. If you have a slow Internet connection, you can try the "apt-get install package" comand first, and if it fails, you to an "apt-get update" before the "apt-get install package" and no problem.

- This command configures the whole server (not only the video) so you
have many questions to answer.

Yes, if you want to fine tune screen resolutions the best is configuring the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file manually.

- I could add any resolution up to 1280x1024 (I do not need the highest
ones)

great!

After restarting the system, the new resolutions are available from the
graphic resolution menu (application - desktop preferences). So setting
video resolution becomes as easy as with the commercial OSs ;-)
Fine!

Last but not least, after the "dpkg-reconfigure server-xfree86" the
volume control WORKS FINE ! I guess some parameters of the Xfree86
server are not set properly by the installation process, and this

I do not understand that, as far as I know, Xserver configuration does nothing to do with sound stuff. But anyway, if it works do not change it ;-)

command restores a 'good' set of command. One must keep in mind that
this distribution is not stable (yet ?) so this is the kind of minor
problem we can find using it !

Well, Debian is a very customizable distro, so be prepared for some little manual tweaking until you are happy with the result. You can install several window managers,several display managers, several file managers, several web browsers, and so on. Debian "testing", as is now, is indeed more stable than other suposed stable distros. People often say that Debian unstable is as stable as the Fedora. For example, another distros like the Ubuntu one, ships with GNOME desktop by default, so they can tweak every little detail until the desktop ends in a consistent appearance. Under Debian you can get the same result after the fine adjustments. Anyway, stability is almost warrantied. It is very strange that a Debian program do a segfault. :-)

Feel free to ask me anything you need about Debian. Better, if the question is not related to Linrad, do it to my own e-mail address in order to avoid bandwidth waste on this list.

Enjoy.

Ramiro, EA1ABZ.

I'll see later the svgalib problem, and will post again about what I
found. Ramiro (EA1ABZ) and 'Zaba' OH1ZAA sent many good informations
that I want to try. I am sure that the solution lies there, but it is a
bit too late for tonight.

Thank you to all of you.

Very 73

Patrick