[linrad] Re: Debian setup

Patrick wrote:
I did install Debian from the mini CD.
For me, it is easier that downloading the set of 14 CD.
I have a brand new 4 MB/s link, so it took about 1/2 hour to get the X-
Window and the related software.

Ok nice, I have a 56K modem dialup connection...... ;-)

Now, I can use Gnome but only in 640x480 or 800x600 screen size...

You can reconfigure the X-window system by:

#dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

and try another screen resolutions.

Also you can do it manually by hand editing /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file.

Another problem is that the audio mixer doesn't work (I have an error
saying that /dev/dsp can't be open in write mode ) I guess the audio
hardware is not properly detected, and this could a mess for Linrad.

First, check that the user you are using belongs to the audio group:

$groups your_user_name

if not, add your user to the audio group:

#adduser your_user_audio

Logout and login again and try to see if it works.

If it does not work, please send us the output of the command:

#lsmod

to see what kernel modules you have loaded

BTW my Video board is a GeForce 2 MX 100 DDR (NV11DDR) and my audio
system is a VIA VT8237.

I'll try to compile SVGALIB 1.9.19 as I did under Fedora Core 2 with the
same hardware. And will let you know what happened.

Tell us if it worked. When I tried it it did not work, but I changed something manually to make it work. I posted it on this list sometime ago.

If you are going to install the new SVGALIB, to avoid any conflicts, ensure that you uninstalled any SVGALIB related Debian packages.

#dpkg -l |grep vga

and see the result.

apt-get remove --purge package_name will remove the packages you desire.

Very 73

Patrick

Tell us how it resulted.

Ramiro.