[linrad] Re: Fedora 3

I am used to run updatedb manually now and then (every three months or so)
on my Linux systems.

> > The big problem
> > with Fedora (like Windows) is that control information is stored
> > at several places and
>
> Will not comment on the Windows thing... :-)
>
> Fedora follows the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard,
> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/. So control information etc., is where it
> should be.
>
> > that the system decides that it knows better
> > than me so it will occasionally overwrite my changes and restore
> > the "important" system functions (like automatic launching of
> > updatedb)
>
> I have used Redhat and Fedora sine Redhat 4.2 and never seen this,
> except when I tried the linuxconf-program. Do you know what it is that
> overwrites what? And/or, what was is that you change?
Yes. I have 10 different Linux distributions running.
I have them on movable hard disks so I can run them on different
computers to some extent. Most of them were set up long ago,
before I had a network installed here. They were all
localhost.localdomain by default and that was not practical
when I connected all the computers in a network.

It was relatively easy to reconfigure everything with a new
host name, fixed IP addresses and so on on all systems
except Fedora 3. For some reason the command I found in my
Linux books only changed temporarily - after a reboot the
system returned to localhost.localdomain and restored other
things as well. I do not remember how I fixed it, I think
I added an extra script in /etc/rc3.d to set the network
so I can use it.

> > Under oldfashioned distributions it is trivial to remove a
> > chrontab entry and get rid of the updatedb problem.
>
> This is possible with Fedora also, see above.
Yes. I know now. I have tried it and it is OK:-)

> If you have Fedora specific questions, do not hesitate to ask.
1) Is there a fix for the memlockall() bug?
A C-program that tries to lock memory to prevent swapping
causes a system crasch.

2) How can I tell the system that I want all hard disks
that I have not used in one hour to go to sleep?
On RedHat 9 I use APM. It was trivial to get going.
Presumably the HAL activity twice a second has something
to do with this. Do you think it is safe to remove
HAL from runmode 3?