[linrad] Re: Fedora 3

I am running Fedora and may help, but I need some more information.

On 04/04/2005 08:56 PM, leif@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> It is not easy under Fedora 3. Just stopping chron and anachron
> will cause system crashes after a while.

Stopping cron should never be done on a Linux system. Stopping anacron
is OK if you know what you are doing.

> I have spent a lot of
> time trying to figure out how to make chron/anachron not
> launch updatedb but I was unable to do it.

What is the problem with cron? Anything else than starting updatedb?

The anacron package is not necessary on a system running 24/7. On such a
system you could remove the anacron package without problems. If you
have a system that you switch on/off, where you need anacron, you should
be able to turn off anacron with the chkconfig-command, "chkconfig
[--level <levels>] <name> <on|off|reset>", i.e. "chkconfig anacron
--level 345 anacron off" should do it. You may then manually run anacron
with "service anacron on" when needed.

updatedb is part of the slocate package. So removing the slocate-package
should solve your problem.

The slocate package provides the locate command, that you can use to
find a file on your system. It uses a database, updated by updatedb, to
make lookups speedy.

If you remove the slocate package, you lose the ability to find files in
a fast way, and have to use the slower find command.

You could also remove the /etc/cron.daily/slocate.cron, or move it out
of that directory, say to /root/bin/ and then manually run slocate.cron
when needed.

> The big problem
> with Fedora (like Windows) is that control information is stored
> at several places and

Will not comment on the Windows thing... :-)

Fedora follows the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard,
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/. So control information etc., is where it
should be.

> that the system decides that it knows better
> than me so it will occasionally overwrite my changes and restore
> the "important" system functions (like automatic launching of
> updatedb)

I have used Redhat and Fedora sine Redhat 4.2 and never seen this,
except when I tried the linuxconf-program. Do you know what it is that
overwrites what? And/or, what was is that you change?

> Under oldfashioned distributions it is trivial to remove a
> chrontab entry and get rid of the updatedb problem.

This is possible with Fedora also, see above.

If you remove a file, say /etc/cron.daily/slocate.cron, an update of the
slocate package will reinstall that file. One thing to try, is to move
the slocate.cron file, and place a 0-size file in its place. An update
of slocate will then create a slocate.cron.rpmnew file in
/etc/cron.daily that is easily recognized.

I have not tried linrad with Fedora, but will make a try later.

If you have Fedora specific questions, do not hesitate to ask.

73 de Lars, sm6rpz
--
Lars E. Pettersson <lars@xxxxxxxx>
http://www.sm6rpz.se/