[linrad] Re: Fedora 3

> I can't help but feel Redhat has already moved to a Microsoft bussiness
> mentality, which is why I would refuse to run Redhat out of principle
> (that said, I do run Windoze when I have to).
Well, I think RedHat has meant a great deal to making Linux more
popular and easy to use so I do not quite share your view.

> At least Debian really is free, and you don't feel you are going to get
> any nasty surprises. Does Debian not run Linrad OK??
Debian is hard to install for a newcomer while Fedora 3 is quite
easy. Once installed I think Debian is a much better distribution.
It is the only modern distribution that I can install on my old
Pentium 100 MHz computer. I have two hard disks for it, one with
Debian and another with RedHat 6.1. I use both to test Linrad on
a small computer occasionally.

> BTW, I guess given the problems with the different distros of Linux,
> this might be a silly question, but is there much in Linrad that means
> it must run on Linux?
I am not a programmer so I do not know. I am working on a structural
change to make it easier for others to get involved towards making
Linrad a multi-platform package.

> Could a UNIX operating system (i.e. Solaris, AIX, Tru64, IRIX, HP-UX,
> Mac OSX etc etc) be used without a major rewrite? Most modern Sun
> UltraSPARC boxes have a half-way decent soundcard that is accessable
> from Solaris. And of course Solaris now runs on x86 hardware too, so the
> better sound cards work too.
There is (of course) no fundamental problem. Technical difficulties are
to interface with the graphics, something I guess differs between the systems.
Linrad currently uses svgalib and that is one of the major obstacles.

> And just in case you did not know, Solaris is now free for both
> commercial and non commerical use on both SPARC and x86 hardware, for
> any number of CPUs. (Solaris 8 had a limit of 8 CPUs for the free
> version, but 10 is free under all circumstances).
It is way beyond my digital knowledge to judge whether this could be useful.
Actually it is primarily a matter of cost. Currently a PentiumIII is sufficient
and PentiumIV is not expensive at all so I see no reason to think about
more sophisticated systems at the moment.

73

Leif