Re: Fedora, usleep and overrun errors.

> I was very glad to receive Leif's mail as it describes precisely my
> problem :
>
> When I set the parameters I get overrun errors after the second FFT
> parameters.
>
> I enabled the USLEEP function, but It did not cure anything : Linrad
> still not working here...
The fft testing routines that run in conjunction with parameter
setup do not use the usleep so they are not affected. You may
ignore the error by pressing enter fast enough.

In your case you will probably find that the overrun errors are
present during normal processing because there is a serious
problem of some kind, otherwise you would not see it on
a very fast computer like yours.

> I tried W3SZ's parameters (from the Linrad user data bank) but I cannot
> set the "Second forward FFT att. N to 10 as 9 is a maximum...
This parameter does not affect timing

> My conditions :
> AMD K8 @2Ghz (3000+)
> Fedora Core 3 (32 bits version)
> Kernel 2.6.9-1.667
> I tried video mode 10 (640x480) , 11 (800x600) and 100 (1072x600)

When you are in the main receive screen, you find two numbers
in the lower left corner. The first is CPU load in %, the second
is the maximum latency found in the idle loop.
The latency should be a few milliseconds but presumably you find
a very large number. The reason is that Linux is a multi-tasking
OS and that it decides some other process is more important than
Linrad.....

In case you run from Gnome or KDE I suggest you go for run mode 3
(terminal mode) to reduce the number of things for Fedora to
find more important than Linrad;-)

Edit /etc/inittab to set initdefault=3 Then just type startx
whenever you want the graphical user interface.

73

Leif