Is the 2.6.9 kernel the villian? WAS Re: [linrad] Which distros are free?

Welcome back Kohjin, and Happy New Year!

I am sorry to hear about your practical EME-related problems.

Kohjin, your report is very interesting to me, and it raises 3 questions, the answers to which I think might help not only Linux-know-nothing me, but also some others who might be in the same boat! Please if you are a Linux expert like BDale [Hi, BDale, I didn't realize you read this list or followed Linrad, or I would have bothered you for help long ago! ;) ].

Readers of the list may recall that I was not able to get svgalib 1.9.19 to run reliably with Fedora Core 3 with Kernel 2.6.9.x. It ran initially after install after an insmod but then wouldn't run on reboot even with the insmod reapplied after reboot. I suspect something **unknown** to me also required insmod after reboot.

Now you report that you couldn't get Debian with 2.6.10 to work with svgalib.

So my questions that follow your report are:

QUESTION ONE. Has anyone out there gotten svgalib 1.9.19 and Linrad to run on one of the newest [released in the past few weeks] 2.6.9 or 2.6 10 kernels with ANY of the different distros? Or is there something that prevents svgalib 1.9.19 from working properly with the newest kernels? I think Dominique got things to work, but I believe he was using svgalib 1.4 3 and not 1.9.19 with Mandrake 10.

If you got svgalib 1.9.19 to work correctly with the newest 'stable' and 'official' kernel of any distro, if it required ANY tweaking, insmods, etc could you post those to the list?

I am noting on the Linux lists and websites various problems and 'missing' functions [meaning functions that worked in older versions not working in the newer version] of the newest kernels [as always seems to happen with new releases]. Perhaps there is something that is keeping svgalib 1.9.19 from working reliably with the newest kernels in ALL cases regardless of distro? ...

My problem here is that I can't use the OLD distros with older kernels for the initial Linux install because I have NEW hardware that they don't recognize [Intel Extreme Graphics onboard video and yet another version of an integrated network].

Of course, svgalib **as usual** doesn't have drivers for the NEW video hardware anyway, and the default svgalib drivers don't give enough resolution for runnng Linrad [giving only 400 x 300 or something like that with svgalib even though the video does something like 1200+ x 1000+ in Windows and XWindows], so I won't be able to run Linrad anyway for a while [until the drivers, which are working GREAT in WINDOWS XP and XWindows, are written for svgalib]. But it would be nice to have a system that does run svgalib, waiting for that day when the svgalib drivers are available.

I a downloading Debian per BDale's suggestion, and So I have another question, that I am sure proves once again that I am a Linux know-nothing ;) ...

QUESTION TWO. This is actually two related questions. If I download Debian 3.0 rev 4, which I am doing, and install it with the new kernels so that it recognizes and installs my hardware [the onboard Intel Extreme Graphics video and the integrated network are what the old distros don't recognize], and I then somehow change it back to an older kernel such as 2.4 since Kohjin indicated that 2.4 would work with svgalib, will it still recognize my new hardware on bootup and keep the configuration and drivers of the video and network that were already installed? Also, do a whole host of applications such as gcc and many others that came with the new distro and the new kernel refuse to work or have problems when the kernel version is changed to an older version? I know that OSS will not work when I change kernel versions, but am hoping that MAYBE the newest incarnation of ALSA will actually work properly with my Delta 44, onboard AC97 audio, and svgalib and Linrad and so I won't have THAT problem as long as ALSA doesn't mind kernel version changes...

And this leads to:

QUESTION THREE. If it is possible to keep the [new] hardware recognition by the OS and XWindows intact and have Linux continue to function when turning the kernel version back in time, maybe I should just download an old 2.4 version kernel for Fedora and try it with Fedora Core 3, which I already have installed and working great for everything EXCEPT svgalib, since Fedora Core 3 is REALLY nice and installed with **NO** hassles but it just has the svgalib problem. Would there be problems with that?

From the email I get, I **KNOW** the answers to the above questions will be of interest to many readers of the list. I wish I could provide them instead of just being able to ask them ;)

Thanks in advance for the help,  Have a great week,

and Good Linradding to everyone,

73,

Roger Rehr
W3SZ

occasional doer of EME between frequent debilitating Linux-related headaches