Re: [linrad] Speech processing (Linrad-01.25)

Hi Leif,

Over the years I have done quit a bit of experimentation with
audio (and RF) processing for the SSB transmitter.  It is my opinion
that audio equalization is perhaps more important then level processing.
My conclusions are as follows:

1) Start with equalization that reduces low frequencies and peaks
audio in the 1 to 2 Khz range. This will vary depending on voice and mic.

2) The second stage should be a fast attack, slow decay audio
compressor that will tend to keep the amount of processing constant.
It should have a dynamic range of perhaps 10db. Noise gating (-20db) can be used to
limit background noise.

3) After the signal is converted to RF, a proper filter should limit the
bandwidth that enters the RF clipper.

4) The RF clipper at this stage should be variable from about 6 db to
20 db of clipping.

5) A matching RF filter cleans up distortion products. The filter can
have a slope to reduce some un-needed low frequency
energy. In other words it might be flat from 1Khz to 3 Khz, but
500 hz may be 3 to 6 db down and 250 hz could be 6 to 12 db down.
This concentrates RF power in the frequency range that most of the
intellegibility occurs. The filter could peak around 1.5 to 2 Khz and
allow some additional rolloff at 3Khz, when 3Khz might otherwise be considered
the upper end of the filter (normal -3db point). This should restore a more natural
sound.

A full implementation of this might be difficult and expensive when
done with hardware, but could be relatively cheap and easy when
done in software. Some degree of varability may be desirable.
Most people would not have the ability to intelligently select various
parameters, so it might be a good idea to have only 2 or 3 presets.
When less processing is used, the bandwidth can be generally
wider and when more processing is used, the bandwidth can be generally
more narrow. When 3 settings are used it could be labled as follows:

1) Ragchew ( little clipping and wide band ).
2) Contest ( moderate clipping and bandwidth ).
3) DX ( maximum clipping and minimum bandwidth for difficult conditions ).

As well, 2 or 3 frequency response presets for stage one could help
tailor the rig to someones voice or choice of microphone. For instance,
3 switches could be selected on or off as follows:

1) Bass cut on/off. ( -6db )
2) Midrange boost on/off. ( +6db )
3) Treble boost on/off. (+6db )

Hidden pots can be made available for the advanced user with
default 6db settings for the beginner.

In my opinion:
Audio clipping can give more intelligibility under weak signal conditions
when the overall frequency response is not optimal. This is only due to
the generation of harmonics that are heard over the noise better, but harmonics
are a poor substitute for those frequencies that are really present in the human
voice, thus the need for good equalization with RF clipping.

Currently, I do not use all of my ideas here. I use the Yeasu FT736r.
I have increased the Rf clipping in the processor. There is an RF filter
both before and after the Rf clipper. It is sufficient to copy my own SSB
echos off the moon.

I hope this summary of my findings and opinions are useful.

73, Jim Shaffer, WB9UWA.

LINRADDARNIL