[linrad] Linrad Questions

I guess I need help, as I've made negative progress with linrad
recently.

As reported a week ago, I am operational at SSB-radio bandwidth
and the AC97 sound system built into a Dell PC with an Intel
motherboard.  I'm using the OSS drivers (with the free demo
license) for the sound system.  All seems to work OK in this
mode, and I've had fun getting used to linrad operation.

As the next step, I installed a Delta 44 sound card, paid for and
installed the OSS license, recompiled linux, and fired things up
again.  I configured the A/D and D/A so as to use the Delta 44
for input and the on-board sound for output.  Input seems to work
fine; I can see signals in the wide spectrum, the big waterfall
plot, and the baseband display.  (I am not using FFT2 right now.)
   But I can't seem to get any audio output at all.  Clicking on
a signal with the mouse produces the vertical green line, as
expected.

I can go back to the originally compiled version of linrad, and
everything works OK as before.

I have things set up for 8000 Hz sampling on both input and
output.  It surely is significant that at the bottom left of the
screen, linrad reports "A/D: 8000 Hz   D/A: 0 Hz".  That looks
like no samples are actually being sent to the output device,
/dev/dsp0, so of course I get no sound in the speaker.  What have
I done wrong?  The file soundboard_init.log looks OK to me.

One more thing, I believe unrelated to the sound problem.
Somewhere in all this messing about, my display has gone flaky
when in svga mode.  Specifically, after running linrad for some
time -- typically 20 minutes or so, I think, but I haven't timed
it carefully -- the screen goes dark.  It's very much like a
power-saving feature or a screen-saver has been activated.
Moving the mouse or striking a key does not revive it, but if I
type CTRL-ALT-F7 the X11 display comes back up, as it should; and
then if I hit CTRL-ALT-F1 I', back in linrad, still running, with
the display looking normal.  Has anyone here seen something like
this, or have a clue what is going on?

			-- 73, Joe, K1JT