Re: [linrad] RE: Linrad-01.15

Leif,

Thank you for the detailed reply. I will try one more time to see if someone else has fixed this:

The system is Fedora Core 1. Package svgalib-1.9.14-8 is installed. Attempts to run linrad result in the error message: svgalib: Cannot open /dev/svga

Does someone knows how to resolve this??  If no one does I will try installing from source.

Thanks,
Dan

Leif Asbrink wrote:
Hello Dan and all,

"How is device svga created and configured??"

/dev/svga, /dev/svga1, /dev/svga2 ..... are not part of svgalib.
I have no idea where they come from but as far as I
know Linrad and svgalib does not use them.

"Are there dependencies beyond svgalib??"

I am not sure I know what dependencies really means in Linux;)

Linrad comes as source code only. Therefore you have to
have certain packages installed, but Linrad does not care what
version you have, you just have to have any version of gcc, nasm
and make properly installed. The same is for svgalib. It comes
as source code but it does not matter what gcc you have as long
as you compile it on the computer you want to use it on.
Sometimes svgalib is included in packages in a way that does not
work with linrad. Probably very easy to fix - but I do not know
how to do it. When I have had such problems I just install
svgalib from source code and that always fixed the problem.
(There has been combinations of compilers and svgalib versions
that required some trivial adjustment of the source code to
make the compiler accept the code. I no longer remember the
details. It was several years ago)

In case you copy executable files or run time libraries
from other systems or use rpm packages that are not correctly
put together (???) you may run into all sorts of problem with
missing files. Probably simple things, but I do not know how to
fix them - I have had such problems but I never bothered to
find out since solving all problems by compiling fresh from
source code so much easier conceptually.

73

Leif  /  SM5BSZ