[linrad] Re: Linrad-02.pre

Hi Gunter,

> I am running the lastest 4.x.y version.
> Quoting myself:
> "If I understand you right, later Windows versions would support the 2496
> directly?"
> means negated
> "my current windows version (W98) does not support the 2496 directly"
Hmmm, people usually claim that Linux is much harder to install than Windows.
This is not true at all, Windows is much harder because it is much harder
to find the proper drive routines. I was unaware of this myself until very
recently when I installed Win98 on several old computers with unknown
soundcards. Unlike Linux which supplies drive routines for nearly everything
included in the operating system, Windows requires that you have CDs from the
hardware manufacturers. One computer was completely impossible, it has a
Creative Live (SB0220) for which there is no driver available on the Internet
site of the manufacturer. Luckily I had demounted the hard disk I got with
the machine and by searching it I found some files belonging to the
soundcard. It is the same with videocards. Windows does not "auto-install"
many hardwares properly. One has to supply drive routines from CDs, Internet
or elsewhere - but unlike Linux Windows does not tell you what card to
find drivers for.... (Or I am not clever to enough to find out how
to get the information)

Look at the Windows hardware install program. Presumably it will tell you
that the soundcard is not properly installed.