[linrad] Linrad-02.00

Hi All,

Multithreaded Linrad is now available for normal receiving
functions under Linux and Microsoft Windows.

Support and side functions are generally untested and may
produce different kinds of errors.

There is a modest penalty in going from a single thread
with tight timing control to a multi-threaded structure.
To run a specific combination of soundcards with
identical processing parameters Linrad-02.00 will need
a somewhat faster CPU and some more memory compared to
the Linrad-01.xx series.

There is a big penalty for using Microsoft Windows. A much
faster CPU is required......(But today that is not any
problem at all.)

            ---  Unsolved problems  ---

1) Linrad can not read or write to the parallel port.
I know it can be solved. Others have done it so I hope
someone else can make the necessary additions:-)

2) Delta44, Lynx Two and presumably all other 32 bit
capable soundcards only give 16 bits. The reason is
most probably that I open in WAVE_FORMAT_PCM with the
WinAPI waveInOpen function. Here is what Microsoft
writes:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wcesdkr/html/wcesdkrwaveInOpen.asp
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wcesdkr/html/wcesdkrwaveformatex_str.asp

>>    Bits per sample for the wFormatTag format type.
>>    If wFormatTag is WAVE_FORMAT_PCM, then wBitsPerSample
>>    should be equal to 8 or 16. For non-PCM formats,
>>    this member must be set according to the manufacturers
>>    specification of the format tag. Note that some
>>    compression schemes cannot define a value for
>>    wBitsPerSample, so this member can be zero.

So, is there anyone on this list who knows what the
manufacturer specification is for wFormatTag in the
WAVEFORMATEX structure when opening the sound input
on a Delta44 or a Lynx Two soundcard???

3) Linrad is unaware of how much CPU time it uses.
Extracting such info seems exceedingly complicated and
maybe it is not really useful since the device drivers
seem to fail due to latency problems on computers
with marginal CPU resources.