[linrad] Re: wine and linrad.exe (version 2.00c)

Hi Pierre,

> To all wine conoisseurs on this list.
>
> Today I experimented with  linrad.exe (version 2.00c) under wine (version
> 20050725) and oss.
>
> After the linrad set-up dialog, I got a nice linrad main-menu (under x11).
>
> I was able to select the option U =A/D and D/A setup for RX, got a few error
> messages on the console  from the wine sound interface, but linrad did not
> crash.
>
> The option W  worked OK.
>
> When I started the option D, I got the different (empty) Linrad graphs nicely
> displayed on the screen .
>
> From these facts I would conclude that wine is doing a good  job in converting
> the (windows) screen IO's to X11 but is not able to handle the linrad sound
> logic.
I was unaware of wine, but since I am now under Debian I tried first
"apt-get install wine", then "man wine". It works:-)

I could open the Delta44 for input from two channels. There was only one
device, under Windows there are two. Windows does not allow four audio
channels from one device as far as I understand so I do not know how to
handle this.

> It also led to the  following question:
>
> Would it make sense ( in terms of development effort ) to reuse and adapt the
> wine logic for the conversion of the windows screen-IO's to X11 , for the
> conversion to X11 of the svgalib-statement that are used in the native Linux
> linrad coding ?
I have no idea. Presumably it will be much easier to make some little changes to
the code that runs under Windows.

There are still many problems with multi-threaded Linrad, I will try to make
it quite a bit more stable before I think about how to run under X11.

73

Leif  /  SM5BSZ