[linrad] UKSMG 50 MHz awareness for Linrad/Winrad; Re: [linrad] Re: Winrad V0.90

Sir Leif!

Your progress with multi-threaded 'Linrad' has been very
important indeed, and I put a message through the UKSMG
Announcements about it about a week ago (February 19 th).
I think that Linrad noise-cancelling is especially useful
on 50 MHz, due to the common occurrence of man-made noise.

It will be great to have the two Windows (Linrad-Winrad)
systems paralleled on two separate PC's to allow a direct
comparison in different circumstances. I guess, they could
even run with common hardware (just a split of the I/Q-sigs).

                           73, "Zaba"  OH1ZAA/2

P.S. Winrad has also now been mentioned at UKSMG (today).
     I have read Alberto's User Guide (will print in color).

Announced by OH1ZAA on the UKSMG-pages  http://www.uksmg.org/announce_cs.php

'Linrad' 2.01 for Windows --- My message below addresses mainly the 'Linrad'
features and last year's Knoppix situation. The Windows-version is by near
not completed yet, but it will probably work on many PC's with very little
effort. The file needed is wlr2-01.zip on SM5BSZ's 'Linrad' root-page
http://www.sm5bsz.com/linuxdsp/linroot.htm (far down at the end) ---
Unzip it into C:\linrad (for example) .... note that any newcomer can skip
all tough Linux-related experiments with this software--- I do not know
whether I had previous setup parameters of a former version already, but
the program worked instantly on my Win2k setup (P4-2400, Abit IC7, ICH-5
audio)--- If one starts now with the experiments it will provide the lucky
operator quite a different Es-season during fringe conditions, especially
on RX-mode --- 73, "Zaba" OH1ZAA/OHoMZA [The sky is no limit] ---

<http://www.uksmg.org/mailform.php?postno=7614>Zaba, OH1ZAA - Sunday, February 19 2006 at 09:57 (GMT)

----------
'Linrad' (developed by Leif/SM5BSZ) leads to almost noise-free reception
(see my previous 2005-postings May 1st/3d/11th): Last year showed a steep
maturing curve for 'Linrad'. [The following is edited from my May 11th
message]: While SM5BSZ/Leif - father of 'Linrad' - initiated a multi-
threaded version adding a Windows-interface, W3SZ/Roger published several
Live_CD's based on Knoppix, which makes it possible that anyone with an
operational PC is able to probe its feasibility to run the 'Linrad'
software (based initially on Linux), without the need to make any
changes to an existing Windows setup and without writing anything to
the hard drive (however, configuration settings can be stored in a
Win-file, in order to facilitate operation on the next 'Linrad'
Live_CD-boot) ---- When it is given enough input bandwidth 'Linrad'
will be able to remove man-made noise completely, which is most
beneficial in an industrial- or city-environment (or near to power-
lines or "sparking" traffic). In addition it has numerous other
effective features to dig the signals out of the noise or to strip
off the interference ---- Based on initial experiments the Live-CD
boots up on almost any PC, and it will lead to immediate and correct
operation on more than 50% of existing computers.... So if you have
two PC's there is a good chance that one of those will be serving
'Linrad' experiments (most likely both will work, in many cases)....
If tweaking is necessary that may need some Linux experience ----
The 684 MB *.ISO-file (needed to burn the Live_CD) is available
through the link on Roger/W3SZ's WWW-pages:
http://www.nitehawk.com/linrad_dat/ ....
There is also plenty of information to study the properties of the
'Linrad' software and related hardware solutions ... This will
change life on 50 MHz most for those who are suffering from the
noisy out-flux of our "modern times" (its "leaking" technology,
digital hash) ---- Good luck with your experiments (much is hidden
behind the noise; please find out and enjoy!) ---
73, "Zaba" OH1ZAA/OHMZA ---

<http://www.uksmg.org/mailform.php?postno=7613>Zaba, OH1ZAA - Sunday, February 19 2006 at 09:56 (GMT)

At 00:24 26.2.2006 +0100, SM5BSZ wrote:

Hi Alberto and all,

> So I took the decision to write a program that would
> run under Windows, with not all, but the fundamental
> functions of Linrad. Logically I named it Winrad.
Thank you for the initiative:-) I am sure everyone
interested will find your program easy to use contrary
to Linrad which is not designed to be particularly user
friendly.

I see in the User Guide that Winrad is designed
to be user friendly in opposite to Linrad which is
designed for no compromise in performance or flexibility.

I think users without any previous experience at all
with signal processing in a computer can expect to
download and install Winrad, read and understand the
User Guide within less than an hour.

There is a port of Linrad to Windows now, you can
download and unpack and get running in less than 5
minutes, but to use it in full, expect to work with
it and read at various places for at least a week
(but you may have to wait until a more stable version
is uploaded)

linrad.exe for Windows is at an early development
stage so many functions do not work properly. As an
example the calibration routines for the noise blanker
do not work. I do not think Linrad.exe can be harmful
to your Windows system in any way - but not knowing much
about Windows I can not make any promises.

To install linrad.exe, go to the bottom of
http://www.sm5bsz.com/linuxdsp/linroot.htm and download
wlr2-01.zip (258163 bytes.) To get an idea about it,
read the QEX articles which are linked to at
http://www.sm5bsz.com/linuxdsp/linrad.htm

No computing skils needed, but you have to understand
the signal processing done by Linrad to use it in full.
Basic usage is easy, no need to read anything I think:-)

73

Leif SM5BSZ