[linrad] Re: Linux distributions

leif@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi Richard and all,

Just one foot note to that Leif

There is a move with all the linux distros to cope with hot plugging of devices.
and due to this /dev/ is now dynamic, This means you can no longer rely on svgalibs
to create entires in the /dev tables.
This is done by udev.

Without knowledge of udev I solved this problem in linrad by
introducing the command "make svgalib" which adds a script that
executes at boot time and installs everything necessary.

Mandriva  follows this approach, and so will the others,
for all the distros the main use is desktop apps and the ease of which they can be implemented.
People want to be able to plug anything into a USB port and see it work.

The down side to linrad is manually entering into /dev with mknod every time the machine is powered up.

???
I did not try Mandriva, but nobody told me that the "make svgalib" does
not work.

Well I sorta did
Hi Guys,
Installing on Mandriva 2006 kernel-2.6.12-15mdk, all the svgalibs are available as rpms,
I had to fool ./configure by creating a directory /usr/src/svgalib/ and adding a version file.
svgalib_helper is a module so no problems.
just one so far no /dev/svga exists.
Does anyone know the major and minor numbers to use mknod to create /dev/svga

Thanks

Richard "

It may be better to look at some of the more ancient distro's which specialize for applications away from the main stream.

I do not think so. To the extent that I get feedback I make
changes to the Linrad Makefile.in in order to make install
work easily under all Linux distros.

Mandriva is not an odd ball distro, its one of the easiest to set up and has taken over 3 other distros in the past year, and its still got an appetite for more.

Yes, formerly Mandrake. I would be interested to know whether
Linrad installs if one follows the instructions at the Linrad
Home Page including installing svgalib from source code.

If you use tar balls to blat over a stable system that uses RPM ,and has all the svgalib packages
available as RPMs its asking for trouble.
I spend a lot of my time sorting out systems were someone has blatted a tar ball over the top of a RPM data base, which then loses all its info on updates, the dependency tables are then corrupted. Mandriva make use extensively of URPMI, if you urpmi <package> it will not only go and get the package but install all its dependencies. I've tried many times to get linrad to run, and the only conclusion I come to each time is ,one computer for linrad and another for everything else.
You have done such good work with linrad Leif, its such a shame to the platforms it can run on diminish.
As a temp fix mknod statements can be added to rc.local, but really it needs attention paid to the way the hotplug daemons behave.

73
Richard G8JVM

73

Leif