[linrad] Re: 96000 Hz sampling on laptop

I believe I have the answer to Roger and others why the 96KHz wav files are
played by the old laptop with an ESS chip.

Under Win2000 and also XP the supported sampling rates of the soundcard or chip
is expanded by conversion within windows. In Win98 this is not the case. I just
tried this experiment with a 2 channel 96KHz wav file on the very same computer
that has dual boot. Under 2000, the old Turtle Beach card plays the 96KHz file
even though I know absolutely for sure that the card itself can't possibly use a
96KHz setting. But under 98 there is an error message whe I try to play the
file, and it says "this wave file is not supported on this sound card."

So practically any older laptop might be able to play the 96KHz files
provided it is running 2000 or XP. The card or chip is only going up to its true
limit which is likely 48KHz.  You will see this if you try to record, sampling
at that high rate when you input a signal to the mic or line input.

73,

Jeffrey Pawlan  WA6KBL