[linrad] Re: 96000 Hz sampling on laptop

HI,Jeffrey,

Thanks for the note!

The information you provide is very interesting, and may even have more general applicability than my original post.

Your comments suggest that you misunderstood the subject of my post, though, as my laptop doesn't use an ESS chip. It uses a SigmaTel chip that I believe is rated to sample at up to 192 KHz. With Cool96 I can sample at 96000 and 192000 for both record and playback and things sound fine. The message in my post was that these computers [see the original post for details] have SigmaTel chips that CAN sample at 96K, and in fact up to 192K. I never said anything about old ESS sound chips. By the way, I have proven that I can't do 384K sampling even in XP with a SigmaTel chip ;)

And while my laptop isn't quite state-of-the-art, as it shipped 7/5/2005, I wouldn't call it 'old'. It uses a Pentium M Dothan, which is not an old design; at least as of last July, new versions of the chip were still being released.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_M

So you have opened up a new avenue of discovery, rather than explaining why my laptop can play 96K files. My laptop can do so because the chip in it was designed to sample at up to 192000 Hz. The fact that old sound chips like the ESS chips, when used with the operating systems XP and 2000, can play 96K files is new [and different] information not directly related to my post.

The following wasn't clear from your post: Does your old computer running Windows 2000 or Windows XP with an ESS soundchip function satisfactorily with the 96K files when you are using Linrad for Windows and Winrad, or just with other sound playback programs. For example, can you play back the leon2001.wav file in Linrad for Windows and Winrad and get satisfactory results with the Turtle Beach sound card? If so, as I expect is the case given your post, this is indeed very good news for a lot of people.

Thanks for an interesting post, and

73,

Roger
W3SZ