[linrad] Re: Linrad-02.05

Hi, Leif,

Thanks for the reply!  OK on CPU overload being the likely culprit.

Just for documentation, I am running on the machine used for the tests I have reported:
3.2 GHz P4
1.5 GB RAM
Debian Sarge
Kernel 2.6.13
Xfree86 4.3.0.dfsg.1-14_i386
ati x driver
PCI Express ATI RV370 (Radeon X300 PCI) videl card
Gnome

I did a test this am and found that as long as I don't move the mouse, Linrad runs fine. I ran Linrad for one hour and 43 minutes with a signal selected and everything remained fine. At one hour and 43 minutes I moved the mouse across the screen and within 5 seconds Linrad crashed with the error message:

debian:/home/linrad/linrad-new/linrad-02-X11.05# ./xlinrad
X Error of failed request: BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  0 ()
  Serial number of failed request:  438343

THe first two lines of the X Error message are exactly what I see most of the time; the serial numbers change each time.

This page on debugging X Window errors may help in figuring out how to track down what is going on with the X errors:

http://www.rahul.net/kenton/perrors.html

I can't pull the S meter away from the bottom left corner
Try more times. It is difficult to find the right position
with the arrow mouse. I do not know yet how to change to
have a cross for the mouse.

I will keep trying. I have pulled it about 50 times and it won't move. I was able to move all of the other windows, and the polarization angle control moved OK as well.

I will go back and make the changes to parameters that you suggest, Leif. I just used the default parameters to start. Some change in how things are done may be needed given that the CPU overload is occurring with a 3.2 GHz P4 with 1.5 GHz of memory ;)

73,

Roger
W3SZ

--