[linrad] Re: linrad 02.05 and Debian Etch

w3sz@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
This is just a quick note to note that to my surprise here at Hilltop where I am running Debian Etch, XLinrad-02.05 runs fine with no glitches, no mouse-related-crashes, etc.

I guess this was somewhat predictable since Leif had no problems at his site, but I was very surprised nonetheless.

I did find that I couldn't 'make' xlinrad until I updated my packages and brought in some X11 header files, etc.  I am not sure which change made it possible to compile, but anyway things are working.  THe problem was that there was no X11/Xlib.h file present and so make failed before I did these things. Now /usr/X11R6/include/X11 contains the requisite files and all is well.

Hello Roger, I agree with you, sometimes it is not obvious to know which debian package is needed for a certain compiling task. In this case sure you missed libx11-dev package:

ramiro@xxxxxxxxxxxx:~$ dpkg -S Xlib.h
libx11-dev: /usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xlib.h
ramiro@xxxxxxxxxxxx:~$

Debian likes making separate packages for libraries. *-dev packages include "development" files, such as header files, that are needed to compile programs against the library. The other package is used only for programs that need the library at runtime.

It is a wise way to save disk space and installing only what you need, but sometmes it is a nightmare to know the required package:

ramiro@xxxxxxxxxxxx:~$ apt-cache search libsvga1
libsvga1 - console SVGA display libraries
libsvga1-dev - console SVGA display development libraries and headers
ramiro@xxxxxxxxxxxx:~$

So Debian Etch and xlinrad-02.05 work fine together here. I am running Debian Etch with kernel 2.6.15-1-486.

My problems with Debian Sarge and xlinrad-02.05 have already been reported.  So changing to Debian Etch makes a large difference:  complete success with Etch vs major glitches with Sarge.

Yes, nice to see that under Etch things work as expected, I have not been able to make Linrad 02.05 to work under sarge. Who knows what the problem is.....

Regards.
Ramiro.
EA1ABZ.