[linrad] multiple instances of Linrad

Hi, All,

The SoftRock v7s are so cheap I am starting to come up with all sorts of uses for them in conjunction with Linrad.

One thing I had mentioned to Leif in the past was running multiple instances of Linrad so that one could watch simultaneously the 'bandscopes' of each of the lower VHF bands at all times during a contest. Now that X Windows and MSWindows versions of Linrad are available, it is easy to display two or more Linrad windows on the screen at the same time.

With a Soft Rock dedicated to each of 50, 144, 222, and 432 MHz one would have things covered pretty well in terms of constant monitoring of the lower bands during a contest [or just looking for openings on each of the bands simultaneously at other non-contest times].

My thought is to have one computer and monitor dedictated to being this 'full time monitor' using 2 delta44's as inputs [each Delta44 could handle 2 SoftRock cards and therefore 2 bands], and the onboard sound for output, and constant simultaneous displays of the Linrad bandscopes for each of these 4 bands on the screen.

With the appropriate selection of parameters [and the fact that for MONITORING you don't even need to be clicked on a signal most of the time] one should be able to run 4 instances of Linrad and not overtax the cpu.

As I type this I am running two instances of Linrad with the Delta44 sending a different [I/Q] input to each and thus I am monitoring two different receive chains displayed in two different Linrad-for-Windows-Windows. Even when listening to both signals with 96000 Hz sampling the CPU is happy and I am not getting glitches [Windows XP, P4, 3.2 GHz, Linrad-02.6a].

So running 4 instances of Linrad at once with parameters chosen to minimize cpu overhead should be no problem.

I put a screen grab of the two copies of Linrad running at the same time, much as they would be displayed in this application, for your amusement at:

http://www.nitehawk.com/w3sz/twolinradsatonce.gif

The only glitch that I forsee would be if two Delta44 cards installed at the same time are not handled properly by the OS. But mAudio's site says you can have up to 4 installed at the same time. If that is true, and if you had the cpu power...I will leave the math to you ;)

I can't wait to get those SoftRocks!  Its almost like free radio ;)

Maybe I had too much caffeine today at work.  Have a great weekend all, and

73,

Roger Rehr
W3SZ

--