[linrad] Re: Fwd: [softrock40] v7.0 kit run or not?

The Softrock 7 should be considered strictly a mixer and coupled with the software, an IF receiver.

The SR7 has an MDS of -109 dBm (typical, I measured one at -107 dBm and another at -110 dBm). So the system NF will be high without gain in front of it. The VHF preamp in your system should determine the system noise temperature/NF as in all such systems and all things in front of SR7 will need to provide both the noise figure plus gain to overcome losses and noise floor of the SR7. If you are attempting to do EME and want a decent noise temperature (sky + antenna) to be around 60-ish degrees Kelvin and a noise floor around -180 dBm/Hz, you need a lot of gain to shove the weakest signal in 500 Hz at (say) -153 dBm above the noise floor of the SR7.

There are loads of web resources and practical examples but some relevant ones would include

Chomski's :  http://www.nd2x.net/wa6py-MDS.html

http://www.satsig.net/noise.htm

http://www.mth.msu.edu/~maccluer/Lna/noisetemp.html

and one really needs to use a good tool to help with all of this and I recommend a free one:

http://www.hp.woodshot.com/

Bob
N4HY

w3sz wrote:
Hi, Josh,

I am not an RF expert, so take ANYTHING I say with a large grain of salt. I was waiting for the real experts to chime in, but haven't seen any answers from them, so here goes ;)

73,

Roger
W3SZ