[linrad] Re: Build trouble

Hi Shawn,

> I am new to Linrad, but not so to Linux, been fiddling with it for 5 years
> or so.  Is there a FAQ available?  I am having trouble with the build
> 2.12 with Kernel 2.6.14, kernel version error.  My C is basically
> non-existent and the edit for the kernel.c file is kind of cryptic.
>
> Using Slackware 10.2-current.

I am trying to make Linrad compile on every Linux distribution,
but I am shooting on a moving target...

I am not sure what your problem is. Presumably it is kernver that
does not run properly.

kernver.c is a stupid fix to a trivial problem. I am sure there
is a proper way to do it, but I have not been able to figure
out how to determine the version number for the kernel to
have it available at compile time.

The purpose of kernver is to write a header file "rusage.h"
This file should have two lines like this on a 2.6 kernel:
#define RUSAGE_OLD 0
#define SDR14_DEVICE_DRIVER "/dev/ft2450"

For a 2.4 kernel (or below) it should be
#define RUSAGE_OLD 1
#define SDR14_DEVICE_DRIVER "/dev/usb/rfsdr0"

If I could figure out what test to make in configure
to find out whether the kernel is above or below 2.5
I would remove kernver.c and use configure to put
defines in rusage.h just like conf.h is derived from
conf.h.in by use of the configure script.

I would be grateful if someone on this list could
show how to find the kernel version properly.
In the meantime, make a rusage.h for your kernel
manually. If I get no response on this posting
Linrad will have to continue to use kernver. Then
I will ask for details of your error messages
to figure out what goes wrong with kernver
under Slackware 10.2.