[linrad] Re: Debian Etch

Leif Asbrink wrote:
Hi All,

This is only for those of you who run Debian Etch.

Running "apt-get upgrade" may make your system
impossible to boot. For a while I thought my
hard disk was corrupted because the last thing I had
done before rebooting was to try the SDR-14 which
did not work (2.14 under X11/Debian)

Now I know the problem and the cure so I thought I should share it with you.

What happens after "apt-get upgrade" is that the
next boot fails like this:

Begin: Waiting for root file system...

If I wait for a long time some more text appears:

Done.
Alert /dev/hda1 does not exist. Dropping to shell!
.
.
.

A simple way to cure this problem:

1) Mount the hard disk on the second IDE bus
so it becomes /dev/hdc

2) Put something that works as /dev/hda (I used a
hard disk with RedHat 9 on it)

3) Boot up and mount /dev/hdc1 as /mnt/hdc1

4) Type "chroot /mnt/hdc1"

5) Type "apt-get install udev"

6) Shut down, put the Debian Etch disk back as /dev/hda and reboot.

Info is available on the Internet, but maybe
it will save some time for someone to find it here:-)

73

Leif

SM5BSZ

Thanks Leif for the advice!

I think that it also can be fixed easily using a livecd and following a similar procedure.

I have not upgraded to etch yet. I am working with stable.

Ramiro.

PS: I have been busy in the last month so I have not been able to play with new versions of Linrad!

EA1ABZ.