[linrad] Re: Xlinrad progess (su#); Fwd: Homebrew I/Q-chains ; KNOPPIX 5.0.1 --

Hi Zaba,

To run xlinrad you must be logged in as root to
have the permission to use parallel ports. If you
select not to use any, then it should be ok to go
as a normal user.

(Personally I am always root, I can not comment
to normal user problems because of ignorance...)

> Now after executing 'make svgalib' I may have more luck in
> bypassing (or fluent use) the helper_module with lir01-37 at
> next reboot, but I don't count on it (ref. former experience).

To run xlinrad you do not need svgalib. Just ignore it
and leave it as is in a non-working state.

The only thing needed:

make xlinrad
(lots of error messages about hash tables if latest Linux)

Then just type ./xlinrad in the console window from where
you typed make xlinrad.

> >contact with the linux versions, and it would be nice to see
> >a lir2-xx run under X. After 'apt-get update' I got access to
> >'apt-get install wajig' / 'wajig recommended xlibs-static-dev' /
> >'wajig recommended automake1.9' command series. However, I still
> >have problems with make xlinrad and make linrad after ./configure.
> >
> >There are hundreds of errors at the end for both lir2-14 and lir1-37:
> >
> >/usr/bin/ld.: symbol 'no symbol' missing from main hash table
> >
> >Also when trying to run ./xlinrad   >>>
> >
> >Xlib: connection to "0.0" refused by server
> >Xlib: No protocol specified
> >can't open display (null)
> >
> >Ran into similar hash table errors and the helper-module problem
> >with svgalib 1.9.24 and lir01-37 .... due to the linux break I
> >have to study again the helper module bypass in libvga.config if
> >that was the latest trick to avoid the issue (my memory fails).

I have asked here on the Linrad list what to do to eliminate
the hash table errors. No answer yet. Personally I do not have
the slightest idea what an hash table is or where to look
for a solution. These error messages seem harmless though.....